Time Isn't An Ally [Chapter 10]

Joe's POV

I don't think I had ever been as worried as I was after the accident; three day's after Sam's hospitalisation, I was still sat on the plastic chairs in the dully painted waiting room and shaking like a leaf.

Kelsey stormed into the waiting room, glaring at me with her piercing, dark eyes. Close on her heels was Jared; he was almost jogging to keep up with her. Our eyes met and he shook his head; the gesture filled with both sympathy and accusation.

After a long silence between the three of us, a doctor walked in. I stood up, opening my mouth to speak and ask how Sam was, but Kelsey beat me to it.

"How is she doing?" She asked in a fragile voice; she sounded like she was about to cry.

"She's fine, her vitals are looking good and she's responding to certain things," the doctor replied in a heavy tone; he looked worse than I felt. He'd obviously had a long night. Jared nodded and pulled Kelsey to his chest and wrapped his arms around her. She did the same and nuzzled into his chest.

"Is she awake?" I heard a far too familiar voice ask. I didn't turn my head; I already knew he'd be staring at me accusingly, his eyes cold and murderous.

The doctor shook his head. "Tomorrow, hopefully." He replied. A nurse popped her head around the door and spoke in a hushed tone to the doctor; I couldn't hear due to the sound of blood pumping in my ears. The doctor nodded and followed her out of the waiting room. Suddenly, I felt vulnerable; all three of the people who were in this room hated me with a burning passion, and I knew at least one of them wouldn't hesitate to voice that.

The silence began once again, but colder and harsher; I could practically taste the hatred in the air. I felt as though I should have just curled up in a ball and died right there on the solid wooden floor, but instead I took my place back on the seats; entwining my fingers and placing them on my lap.

"Why'd you do it, Joe?" Izazya eventually asked, his voice a cold monotone. "Is that the kind of person you are now?"

"She brought it on herself," I replied without thinking. I bit my tongue. "She... She challenged me." I finally managed to say in a fairly steady voice.

"And you felt the need to tackle her and throw her down the stairs?!" Izazya yelled suddenly, his voice resonating in the silence. I flinched slightly at the ferocity of his accusations.

"I wasn't thinking," my voice was barely a whisper. I heard the impact of his fist against a wall, and was instantly glad it was the wall and not my face.

"Izazya, calm down." I heard Kelsey mutter. I was about to agree with her when she finished her sentence. "Or at least take it somewhere else."

I turned my head - finally - to look at him; his eyes were burning with ferocity, anger and hatred.

"Come on, Joe." Izazya snarled, the corners of his mouth turning upwards in some form of a smile. "Let's take this somewhere else."

"No thanks," I replied, my voice stronger than before. Izazya raised an eyebrow and laughed half-heartedly.

"Don't make me come over there and get you, you'll get hurt. I guarantee." He took a warning step towards me.

"Looks like I'm getting hurt then," my eyed locked with his as I uttered the final word; "again."

"Don't you dare start this here, Joseph." Izazya's voice filled with anger as he step towards me. I watched the muscles in his arms tense; I had no doubt he'd drag me from the seat if he had to.

Where had all the confidence that I'd slowly began to build gone? He stepped into the room and it crumbled. I sighed inwardly and stood up - saving myself the pain of being dragged across the floor - and walked towards him. I saw a smile start to form on his otherwise serious face.