Meet-The-Boyfriend

At 11:45, I hung upside down from the bed. At 12:00, I threw un-spitty spitballs at Lauren. At 12:30, I started pacing the floor. At 12:45, Lauren hit me with another pillow. At 1, I panicked while waiting for Ally to come and get me. At 1:05, Ally knocked on the door.

“Hey!” she chirped once I opened the door.

“Hi,” I said, giving her a nervous smile, “are you ready?”

She smiles, “Yeah, but don’t worry. We aren’t going anywhere too fancy. It’ll be simple lunch and getting to know each other.”

I nod, grabbing my wallet and saying goodbye to Lauren before exiting. I never carry more than an over-the-shoulder purse with me, because anything other than that is a hassle.

We head to the stairs- for exercise, Ally says- and out into the parking lot, where two matching black trucks are parked. And I don’t mean some crummy black  mom-vans. I mean, Cadillacs. Bruh. Ally pulls a set of keys from her bra and opens the doors as if it’s nothing, climbing into the drivers seat. Once she’s inside, she rolls down the passenger window.

“Are you gonna get in, or are you gonna just stare at it?”

I close my mouth, “Uh...stare. I think if I get in, I might break something. Like the windshield...or my neck…”

Ally laughs, “You’re killing me, kid, you’re really killing me.”

I climb as carefully as I can manage into the passenger’s side and gently and slowly put on my seat belt. Ally looks at me like I have 5 heads.

I smile at her, “What? Would you like me to break this ridiculously expensive car?”

She snorts, “No, but I’d like to get to eat sometime soon. I heard the food there was on fleek!”

I stare at her blankly, “Um… Ally-Cat? I think on fleek is just for like, outfits and eyebrows…”

She dismisses me with a wave of her hand, starting the car and putting it into drive in one fluid motion, “It can be for food, too!”

We drive down the street and turn onto a few more streets, aimlessly chatting and singing along with whatever is on the radio until she pulls up at a small cafe, downtown. I’ve been past here a few times on my way to the library, one of my number one hangouts. It’s hard to believe that tomorrow I’ll officially be saying good-bye to New Jersey… Once the car is stopped, we both climb out and enter into the restaurant.

“Hi, I’m Julia, how may I help you?” a lady with curly brown hair and a nose piercing says. She tucks a strand behind her ear as best as she can and smiles with no teeth.

“Hi, thank you. I was looking for my boyfriend? Reservation Ogletree?”

The lady nods, “Yes, he came in a few minutes ago, right this way.” She waves us over and we follow her to a table close to the back of the restaurant, close to some book shelves. I read the titles as I pass- Hamlet, To Kill a Mockingbird, stuff like that. I spot who I guess is Troy on his phone at the table. He sips a water through a straw while he’s at it.

I manage to glance at the top part of his outfit, a white sweatshirt with the words “Too Cool for School” on it. I guess he attempted to make himself look a little more formal by throwing on a corduroy type jacket. Gross. He looks up, “Hey, Ally.” he stands to give her a hug, which I roll my eyes at. He’s like 6’2, he could’ve stayed seated to hug her.

I thank Julia before sitting down diagonally from Troy and next to I guess what would be Ally’s seat. Finally, after their little greeting, the take their seats.

We sit down in awkward silence for a long time. I notice a stain on the collar of his jacket, like he spilled too much cologne or something. Finally someone breaks the silence.

“So...hi. I’m Troy.”

I bite the inside of my lip and fight the urge to spit out an ‘I know’. Instead I give a light smile (more like a grimace) and say, “Nice to meet you. I’m Paige.”

I glance over to judge Ally’s reaction, and she seems somewhat pleased that we’re at least talking.

“Um… so you sing?”

I nod, “Yeah, I’ve been singing since I was a kid, or so I’ve been told. It’s a way to express myself.”

“Have you ever heard any of my covers on Youtube?” That’s a really weird question. He’s making it seem like I should’ve.

“No?” I squinch up my face and lean slightly forward, “Why?”

He shakes his head, “Nothing, no reason.” he says coolly.

How is Ally even with this guy?! Lauren’s right, he’s a real-

“So, Troy!” Ally interrupts, maybe a bit louder than she’d intended, “How’s work?”

“It’s alright, honey. Me and my co-workers are finally starting to get along.” The change here is insane. Five seconds ago he was all arrogant and rude and now he has a job? And friends? And he calls her honey? Personality disorder much?

Ally beams like a proud mother, “That’s wonderful.”

This is repulsive, I think to myself, Lauren was right, “How is your work Ally?” I ask, just to change the subject off of Troy.

She turns to me, “I’m so excited for our new song and video. Did Dinah tell you we were going to New York to be on the Today show again? And the AMA’s are going to be absolutely insane!”

I smile, “That’s great, I bet they are.”

“Oh, honey, you don’t have to bet. You’re coming with us.”

I’m floored, “Huh?”

Ally nods excitedly, “Yeah, we managed to get you tickets to the awards with us.”

“Oh. My.”

“Paige Delgado Hansen Hernandez, if you finish that sentence with God…” Ally warns in a stern tone. It’s funny how she goes from all cute to serious mom in like five seconds.

“I wasn’t,” I rush, “I was gonna say..um… Giddly-Puffs?”

Troy chokes on his soda, “What?”

I look at him, “What?”

“Giddly-Puffs?” He breaks into an uncontrollable laughter, causing people in the restaurant to turn and stare. I can’t help it-after a few minutes, giggles start to break out and I start laughing too. Ally stares at us in disbelief and in what could only be described as confusion while we get our childlike immaturity out.

“Whoo!” he says, wiping a tear from his eye, “That was a good one. I have to hand it to you, you’re funny.”

“Um...thanks?” I smile a little.

At least it sounded sincere...