I Love You

“Okay, that’s our flight.” Normani says, as the announcer calls up the flight to Texas, “Love you guys, bye.” She says to Dinah, Mila, and Lauren, giving them each a hug. Ally follows, and so do I. Camila, however, doesn’t hug me, making the goodbye really awkward, “Um… bye, Mila..” I say quietly, as she dodges my arms. Normani rubs my arm, then pulls me along with her and Ally towards the gate. I turn and take one final look over my shoulder and see Lauren and Camila arguing.

The flight goes by without any trouble, and we land within the hour. Normani’s parents are at the airport, and Troy and Ally’s parents are there, too. “Mom, dad, this is Paige, my adoptive daughter.” Ally introduces me, and I smile and wave, looking over my shoulder, “Nice to meet you.”

We go through formalities, my age, my school background, etc, before something hits me, “I’m sorry, Ally, where is Pascal?”

“Pascal?” She asks, wrinkling her eyebrow in confusion.

“The puppy, I named him that in honor of Rapunzel.”

“Oh, he should be in the little animal thingy they have here. Troy, can you go get him?” she asks, turning to him. He smiles at me, hugs me, then heads to the kiosk to get Pascal.

“Hey, girl, we’re gonna head out.” Mani says to us, “I will call you tomorrow, okay?” She says to ally and I. We agree, “And nice to see you again Mr. and Mrs. H. Love you guys!” We say our goodbyes again and Troy returns with Pascal, who looks a little sick from the trip and we head out, climbing in Ally’s family’s van and we go to her house, a comfortable ranch style house, and the five of us eat dinner. After dinner we watch a movie and play Scrabble, and I let Pascal out to pee. Before long, it’s time for sleep, and Troy says his goodbyes and leaves. After I say goodnight to everyone, I slink up to Ally’s room, Pascal running after me and laying down next to me. I cuddle him close to me and in an instant I’m asleep.

I wake up sometime around 3 A.M, as my phone won’t quit buzzing. Ally is next to me, unphased by my phone literally ringing off the hook.

I grab it and read through the 24 text messages I’ve received in the past 20 minutes.

Lauren: paige, are you awake?

i need you right now.

camila and i fought and now we’re through and i walked out and please answer me?

please. what’s going on?

are you asleep?

i’ve always loved you. i just need you right here right now.

i’m gonna do something stupid. just text me back.

I shake Ally, waking her up, “Hmm?”

“Something is wrong with Lauren, Ally. It’s an emergency.”

She jolts up, “Is she okay? What happened?”

I shake my head, getting out of the bed, dialing her number. The texts become less and less coherent as they go on until they absolutely stop.

“I don’t know, I think she’s drugged up or something. She said she walked out of the house. She just stopped texting. Hello? Lauren? Lauren!”

Someone on the other line answers, and I hear sobbing, “Lauren Michelle Jauregui. It’s Paige. Are you okay?”

“Paige… Paige, no… you gotta come...come. Come get me. I don’t know where. But you gotta…”

“Lauren, what’s the matter with you right now? Did you drink something? Did you take something?”

There’s silence, “...Ya.” She giggles, then groans, “Please come now! I’m scared.”

“I’m coming, Lauren. Just hold on, don’t move. I love you, okay? Just don’t go anywhere. I’m on my way.”