Maybe

Two years later, on James fourth birthday. The little boy was running around Steve's house. On his third birthday, they celebrated it at the compound, today it's at his father's. It's not his first time to be here, few months back, Natasha allowed James to spend some night at Steve's. James got along with his father so well that he whines to go with his dad sometimes.

For Natasha, it's her first time. Just like how she doesn't let Steve know where she lives —not that he still asks, she also has no plans on going to his. Not until today.

"Mommy", James extends his arm, fist close, gesturing to give her something.

Natasha opens her hand over James'. James placed a ring on her palm. 'What's this?'

"A ring.", James smiles at her, 'I know' is written all over Natasha's face. "It's yours.".

Natasha looks confused, "It's from dad.", he clarifies.

"Wow.", Sam comments from around the corner.

The night later, some of the visitors went home already. While Natasha, hums little James to sleep, Steve is watching by the door. A view he'd love to see every day.

Soon as James is asleep, Steve asked, "Staying?".

"Nah", she shakes her head 'no'. She was about to stand up when she remembers the ring. She took it from her pocket, stepped closer and handed him the ring, "If you're planning something stupid. Don't". Natasha heads out the room.

Steve stared at the ring in his palm, recalling how he got it.

1948, Steve went through his old things. He found his parents wedding bond. He recalls how his mother wanted him to give it to the woman he wants to spend the rest of his life with. Natasha then came up to his mind.

Ever since he got back to the future he's been taking it with him, wherever. Hoping one day he'll be able to give it to Natasha.

2025, two years after he came back. The first time Natasha appeared in front of him again. In the balcony, at the compound, after his conversation with Bucky.

"It'll work pal."

"It will Buck... because I don't know what to do if it doesn't.".

A short silence before Wanda came out to tell them dinner will be ready in a few, "Am I interrupting? Since Nat only comes few times a year, I decided to make something for dinner.".

Bucky went in while Steve took a moment for himself before joining them to help prepare the table. He took out his parents ring from his pocket. He stared at it for a while, the woman he wants to wear this ring on is in the other room. The woman he hasn't seen in two years. The woman he came back for.

Unconsciously he tried his father's ring on, when Bruce passed by and noticed him. 'Steve, you're not coming inside?'.

Steve followed Bruce and soon they had dinner. After dinner, Rhodey and Natasha are alone at the balcony. Wanda told Steve to talk to her so he did. He went after Natasha and Rhodey left them to talk.

Steve still can't manage to meet her eyes, "I wanted to talk to you... I wanted to tell you something, but I guess it's really hard to look for someone who doesn't want to be found.".

She lets her eyes register the image of him beside her, til' her eyes fell on the ring on his finger, "I guess." She turns to look back into the nothingness in front of her. Running away from the emotions trying to build up upon witnessing for the first time the sole evidence of him leaving everything behind— leaving her —for the one she has always believe to be the love of his life.

"Are you happy?" he asks.

"Were you happy?", she counters.

Few months ago, when James first stayed over. James made a lot of mess, he also found the ring in Steve's bedside table.

'Daddy, what's this?'

'Wedding rings'

'Like in the movies?'

'Yeah', Steve laughs subtly.

'Is this for mommy?'

Steve smiled. 'Why is this here? Why is mommy not wearing hers?'

———

Few months later. Everything went back to normal between Steve and Natasha. It wasn't once in one go, it was a long process. One step at a time. Slowly but surely.

Steve, despite knowing why Natasha pushed him to take the chance he had to go back to the future, listened to her telling him directly why. He told her he would've stayed and Natasha believes him, because she knew what was his life when he went back in the past.

And Natasha, despite knowing his story in his time travel —after overhearing it years ago in his conversation with Tony, still listens to Steve telling her every details of it.

They listened to each other like they heard it for the first time.

They understood each other better now. They love each other deeper now. They'll hold on to each other tighter now.

But, Natasha is not giving in just yet, despite being confident of the love Steve has for her, now that they patch things that happened in the past. The trauma she had of him leaving is still there, creeping out from time to time. Whenever they got close to how they were, she gets reminded of how Steve left.

Few more months and Natasha started to joke around Steve about their failed chance.

Few more months and Steve starts to counter Natasha's jokes about their failed chance.

Few more years, then Steve felt it's okay to ask. For the first time, he did.

"Nat, will you give me another chance?"

"Nope."

Natasha gave him her signature smirk.

Few more months with few more failed tries to ask her to give them another try, to date, to marry.

"Nope."

"Nah."

"No."

"Not today."

"Still no."

Few more months with the same outcome.

And, Few more years.

"Nat. Will you take another chance with me?", Steve wholeheartedly hopes she will.

"Maybe.", Natasha smiles, happily.

— END —

Note: Thank you for those who gave this a chance, to those who stayed til the last chapter despite of my poor writing. Thank you to those who appreciates this, despite of the messy delivery of the story. Thank you for understanding my poor English. And thank you for all the votes and comments you gave this. I've successfully ended my first ever all-English fic, and despite of it being flawed, I'm still happy because I got readers more than I expected. Thank you so much. Lastly, I'm posting a one shot Romanogers diary-like story, one for Steve and one for Natasha. I hope you'd give it a try as well. 😊 Once again, thanks a lot.