He's Mine Isn't He?

"So you didn't came to check on me when you dropped by here, on your way to visit Tony." Thor's loud voice echoed in the compound, "I thought we became best friends, Lady Natasha.".

With Thor being extra playful, Natasha knows he brought a good news. "You were out chasing Jane in New Jersey.", she counters playfully, "You were the one who didn't wait for me.".

Steve was just standing there looking at her.

Natasha's smile faded as she looks at Steve. Intentionally not saying anything, just to see him tense before she gave him a smirk. "And you, you were out... says you went home to your place.".

Steve relaxes, seeing how Natasha is playing around with him. It's another good sign he thought. Another step closer. He just don't know how close he is. Sam gave him a congratulatory smile from where he is standing.

"James is mine..." He says staring at nothing in particular as he rubs his thumb over his knuckles.

Sam leans on the desk in front of Steve and crosses his arms in front of him, "Truths became less surprising each time.".

Bucky, silently listening from where he is sitting.

Steve takes in a long breath, "I asked Peter and he says James is turning two."

"Okay? So you slept with her."

Steve just gave him silent confirmation.

Sam nods, "Do I have to pretend that I am surprised?" he says like it's a given that they did. After spending two years on the run together with them, he can't deny the connection between the two of them. To him it was only a matter of time and situation before they give in to each others' arms. But then Thanos came, and he lost track.

They did, few times in the span of 5 years. "In times we need deeper comfort, I always find that someone to be Natasha. I'm sure it goes the same for her.", he closes his eyes for a moment before he continues talking. "I always feel at ease, whenever I get lost with her and in exchange I wanted to make her feel the safest in my embrace.".

(One night they just happened to need each other. It was the first time Natasha got a possible lead in finding Clint, and the possibilities of what he has become, scares and worries her. On the other hand, it was the first time Steve took over Sam's counseling sessions. Hearing stories from people who's struggling to move forward and some who refuses to move forward. He came back to the compound he once called home, just in time to see Natasha lost in her own thoughts, —scared, hopeful, in denial.

'I don't know if I've improve on my sneaking skills or you just really need a friend.' He remembers telling her.

There was really no time to talk deeper about them, not even once talked about the future ahead of them. There's so much on her table, there's so many people needed guidance, there's too much emotions —pain, hope, responsibility, guilt, loss, name it— too much. Deep within they know something between them is special but it's not time for them to embrace that thought, that reality. And Natasha thought 'that' time won't come til they get everyone back, she didn't want to put another guilt of being happy, having a life when half —and even more, from accidents caused by cars without drivers, planes without pilots— of the living things have been taken without any consent. She thought she's only worthy of living a life if she gets to reverse the snap —holding on to the slightest hope even after Thanos used the stones to destroy the stones.)

"And when I asked her who the father is, she didn't let me finish my sentence.", Steve turns to look at Sam. "And that gives me the answer I needed.".