How Was He In The Past

1945

Steve got his dance.

He married Peggy months later, not wasting anymore time because who knows what will happen. He thought this is what he deserves, to come home after the war is over. He's been through multiple wars, and he thought this chance of going back is his price.

A month in their marriage and Steve started to question things, unconsciously.

'Love? Something wrong?'

'No, nothing.', She sat down beside him, refusing to believe.

'But don't you think we need to repaint, to make this look more like a home.'

'What do you mean? You already did few days ago.'

'Yeah. I did.'

Steve couldn't quite figure what he really felt about this life he chose.

'Should we go out for dinner?', after a few moment he asks, brushing off his thoughts.

——

'Love?'

'Hey. Sorry, did I wake you up?'

'No, it's okay. Can't sleep?', she asked worried.

'Some thoughts keeps me up at night.' he laughs it off.

'Like what?'

'How things could go differently depends on the choices you make.'

'Oh Steve, you're so dramatic.'

——

Few months in their marriage. Peggy has noticed how Steve felt different, he seems to be bothered about something he's yet to figure out. His sleepless nights comes more often now.

'You're bothered about something.'

'It's nothing. Probably just overwhelmed with everything that I have now.', Steve tries to give her a reassuring smile.

'Probably. But you have to get used to it. I'm not going anywhere Steve, if that's what you're scared of.'

Steve just nods, not really sure if it's what bothers him.

'It's not what bothers you. I see. Once you figure it out, I'd like you to tell me.'.

——

It's a Sunday morning. A day off and Peggy is preparing their breakfast. Bacon, egg, some toast and a cup of coffee.

'Did we ran out of peanut butter?'

'What do you think? You've been eating peanut butter sandwich these past few weeks.'

Steve smiles recalling, 'A friend used to eat that all the time.'.

'Who?'

Steve, after a moment, responds in a very low voice, 'someone really close.'.

——

On his way back from his jog, he came across a girl sitting on a bench alone.

'Hey kid, why are you out here alone?'

The young girl looked up to him. Green eyes. 'I'm not.', she points to the middle aged woman from across, holding a younger boy in her arms. Her mom.

'My boy ran off, got to catch him.', the woman explains.

Green eyes.

Natasha.

How is she?