James

Steve came to visit Clint. He's not gonna lie, he was there to try another chance to get something about Natasha.

He stayed for a while surveying for any clue when he found a photo frame with Natasha and the Barton kids; there was Lila, Cooper, Nathaniel and to his surprise a little boy about a year old sitting on Natasha's lap, looking at her. His hair was red, just by the color of it he could tell it was Natasha's.

"You missed out a lot after you went back in time." Clint who came with two cups in both hands stated the obvious.

His heart stung with the fact that he did, "Yeah, I did." He put back the frame and asked, "Is she happy?" His eyes was still on her photo.

Clint came closer to hand him a cup of coffee, "Thanks to you."

Steve looked at him and asked, "What do you mean?"

"You got her back from there... are you staying for the night?"

Later that night Steve went back to the compound. The photo still haunted him. For some reason he was curious and he was conflicted but he could not tell exactly why. He decided he would stay at the compound for a while hoping he would be there when Natasha calls, though he knew she probably wouldn't, but still, just in case. He was there taking every little chance there was to speak to her.

The chance was slim, Wanda must've reported his presence already.

***

The next day while he was having his morning run. "On your left," Sam declared as he was catching up to him.

Steve stopped resting his hands on his waist while catching his breath. Sam passed by him but before he got further away Steve spoke, "Did you know about her child?"

Sam halted, he was kind of expecting him to ask this question after his visit at Clint's yesterday. He turned to him while Steve stepped closer waiting for him to answer.

After he even out his own breath, Sam started "I did, and if you're gonna ask me who the father is then I tell you, you asked the wrong person. I don't know, man."

Steve stayed still, one hand on his waist one hand on the back of his neck. He knew he shouldn't be but he was a little disappointed how Sam chose to stay silent about it.

Sam noticed his reaction and he found it fitting to clear his name, "I didn't know this is such a big deal Steve." Steve looked at him, "It's not my place to tell and it's not like you're the father." Steve bobbed his head in realization that Sam has a point.

"Yeah, you were once 'somewhat-a-thing' before you went back in time, even before the the first snap... I knew that much." Those years they were on the run, it maybe short but it was enough for him to see, though both Steve and Natasha were just too stubborn to admit it to themselves. "But things are different now, and I don't find any reason why I should be talking about it, you know?"

Steve sighed, he knew Sam was right in so many levels. He started running off, back on his morning routine and Sam followed suit.

They were resting under a tree. Sam was still catching his breath while Steve was sitting on the ground, eyes fixated at the empty field in front of him.

"I met him," Sam started. Steve turned his head towards his direction, eager to listen to what Sam was about to say next.

"One time she asked to meet and she showed up with a baby." Sam paused for a while smiling at the thought of what happened next, "For a second I asked myself 'Why? am I the father? Did I possibly slept with her when we were both drunk?'" They both smiled at the thought. "Without saying anything, she read through me. She cleared my thoughts then and there. 'It's not yours dumbass' just like that."