hunter exam arc ❚ killua ✕ cooking ✕ true colors

.

[ 287th Hunter Exam | Current number of examinees: 148 ]

.

As she had expected, not long after she reached the location for the second phase, a familiar white haired kid walked up to her like he was going to war. Grey eyes met blue ones, and Eirene just knew she would have a lot of excuses to make.

«What are you doing here of all places, Iri? Are you stalking me to bring me back home? Because in that case--!»

«Why is everyone so rude nowadays, is it Trash Eirene day?» she interrupted him, scoffing at the fresh memory in her mind. With her hands on her hips and a frown painted on her features, she slightly bent towards the younger assassin, ashen blonde locks falling forward from over her shoulders. «I'm here because I was bored and wanted to see if the exam was as entertaining as everyone thinks it is.»

It wasn't technically a lie. A half truth at best, an omission at worse--as Kikyo taught her, it was more effective to just mix truths and lies: that made it more difficult to discern one from the other.

«As for you running away from home, it doesn't really concern me. I wasn't ordered to bring you back, you know?» she added then, for good measure.

Honestly, Killua had his fair amount of reasons to doubt her words, even if she never lied to him before. For sure he had previous knowledge of her faithfulness towards his family, to Zeno most of all, and even if he trusted his grandfather not to interfere with his life decisions, there was always a veil of worry in his eyes.

After what felt like an eternity, though, the kid seemed to accept her answer and relaxed slightly--she smiled, mentally scolding him for that.

«... So?»

«So what?»

«How are you finding the exam?» he asked, full question, with a slightly unconvinced pout on his lips.

«Honestly? Boring, but it has only been phase one, so I expect it to become more exciting. Otherwise, I might just drop out.»

Killua snorted after seeing her pouty expression. They didn't interact quite often back home, but the few time they did the woman never failed to be oddly funny in his eyes. Even considering her uncanny ability to piss people off.

«Right? People always spoke about how difficult it is and yet!»

«Anyway, you're not feeling bored, are you?» she commented. «I saw you hanging out with a black haired kid.»

«Ah, Gon!» As the name slipped past his lips, the young assassin looked like he regretted saying the other's name. «W-We're the same age, so...»

Eirene stopped for a moment and pondered. It was obvious that he still wished for a friend--she was aware of the request he made all those years ago to one of the butlers--the perks of her training with Zetsu and In--and the child, Gon as he called him, seemed to have taken the role quite happily.

It probably wouldn't end well, knowing how possessive his older brother was, but for the moment...

«Just go and have fun, kid. I'm too busy avoiding getting killed by that creepy magician to stop you from having friends.»

That seemed to make it. Killua's smile, for once, reached even his eyes a he nodded at her and ran off to look for Gon.

.

.

.

She noticed, a beat too late, that Killua didn't ask her the most important question (is Illumi here too?). Eirene sighed, the back of her head meeting the tree she was leaning on with a "thunk".