heavens arena arc ❚ aftermath ✕ change ✕ feelings

.

Killua barged into her room the morning after the match, Gon following him closely. The blonde looked at them as if they were crazed ghosts, stopping her attempt to organize her luggage's content.

She was covered in patches and bandaids where her wounds had been deeper, her right sleeve now fluttering around at the slightest move.

«Iri, how are--why are you up already?!» the younger assassin shouted at her as soon as he saw her not resting.

She stood up properly, her sole hand resting on her hip. «Hmm, kind of well. Just have to adjust a little... I did lose an arm, after all.»

That probably wasn't the answer the kid expected.

«Stupid! What were you trying to do, get yourself killed?! Why am I surrounded by people without self preservation instincts?!» he yelled again, now almost up in her face from how close he was.

The woman still had some height on him, not to say power, so the intimidation didn't really work.

«Killua, I'm alive. It's alright.» she sighed, hand raising to ruffle his hair, only to be smacked away by the preteen.

«No it's not, you complete idiot! You gave me a heart attack! Not only did you go up against Hisoka, you nearly got killed and are full of wounds and bruises! How dare he do something like this--»

He cut himself off, eyes now steered on the floor as his small frame trembled slightly.

Eirene didn't know how to deal with upset children. Especially not with an upset child she'd known since he was born and often played with when he was little, but hadn't been in proper touch for years until the recent developments.

Damned feeling resurfacing.

She innerly panicked a little, before help came in the form of a dark haired child.

«Um, Miss Eirene, Killua was very worried.» Gon started off, trying to explain and ease the atmosphere a little. «He even asked the doctors personally about you, but they only told him to leave you to rest and-»

«Gon!» was the embarrassed-yet-still-angry shout from the other kid.

The revelation struck her a lot more than she was ready to admit: the fact that Killua had grown so attached to her in the time spent at the Heavens Arena still sounded odd to her, but she had been starting to accept the warm feeling sprouting inside of her chest when thinking of the younger assassin.

Aah, things are going to get complicated...

«Kil, look at me.» she called, crouching down to have a better look at the kid's face. His lips were pursed tightly, and she noticed his eyes being a little shinier than usual when he raised them into hers. «I'm not going to die from this kind of wound, so I'm fine. With nen, I can recreate my arm without fear of it being frozen again. Also, Hisoka actually saved my life by cutting it off, just so you know. I think I asked him right before losing consciousness.»

She tried to make him look at things logically, even if it felt odd defending the jester. That was usually her best strategy, convincing others that while it could have gone better, there was always a "worse" that had been evaded.

It didn't work well, if the kid's aura was of any help. However, his next words made her breath an inner sigh of relief.

«If you do something this stupid again, I'm going to be angry at you forever.»

Thank heavens. She sighed. «I'll keep it in mind.» With that, the woman stood back at her full height. «Now that we got everything sorted, who wants to go out for lunch? My treat.»