port mafia arc ❚ fake ✕ family ✕ feelings

.

[ Port President, Marble Fort | First day ]

.

If someone told her that she'd find herself sitting in a garden, on a serene afternoon, surrounded by the children of the Mafia don she had been contracted to protect, Eirene would probably laugh it off as a joke.

Irony had some curious way to work, it seemed.

After being "captured" by one of the kids' bodyguards, she had found herself being questioned by said bodyguards--it appeared that the tiger she saw was the other one, a young man of the same age of his colleague, both of which the children referred to as "big brother"--about her reason for being there and entering the private garden of the family.

She honestly didn't even have an idea of where she actually was.

Luck was at her side for once, though. One of the kids decided to speak up, before the two older boys decided to try to either skin her alive or let their abilities devour her, and asked her why she was there. To which Eirene answered honestly--"to protect them", which was true in a way, but she still felt rather confused as to why she actually answered like that.

She suspected that some kind of Nen was at work, but before she could think about it the kids dragged her off into one of their games, seeing she meant no arm.

Which brought to her current predicament.

«So, sis! Where are you from? How old are you?»

«Your hair is beautiful! Can I braid them? Pleeease!»

«You'll stay with us until the party is over? Yay!»

Her head was going to blow with all those questions and chatting sooner or later, and she tended towards the former. Still, despite her patience beginning to wear thin, she stayed where she was--sitting on the blanket placed on the soft grass, with a little girl behind her playing with her long hair.

Pale eyes fixed on the sky above and Eirene began considering to bail the job on day one (and she would, if only Illumi wasn't there).

After fifteen minutes of getting to know each other, the blonde woman knew a few things: the children the Boss cared for weren't actually blood-related (he took them all in after an incident, mafia-related, which happened a few years prior; their parents were either low rank members of the Famiglia or civilians), they all loved their dad a lot and the same could be said for their guards. Speaking of which, they seemed pretty much relaxed, despite having an "intruder" like her around the little ones, which made absolutely no sense to her.

«Hey, kid.» Eirene called after a moment, catching the attention from the child before her--Kou, if she remembered correctly. «Shouldn't you all be, I don't know, a little more alarmed about this?» She gestured to them and herself, as if meaning the situation.

The child looked behind her for a moment, deciding whether to answer her or not. «Well, you told Sakura you're here to protect us. You can't really lie to her, so...»

... Ah. «The kid's over here is a nen user?» she asked again, earning a mild growl from the teen guard in black as five pairs of eyes looked at her expectantly.

«Sis, what is nen?»

She mentally cursed--feeling once again the compulsion to answer Sakura's question.

The next hour was spent by Eirene to explain, in kid-friendly terms, the concept of nen and life force and types. It proved to be quite difficult, with the kids interrupting her multiple times--and almost ticking her off--to ask about this and that and the other.