prologue ❚ an ✕ ideal ✕ life

.

Her oldest memory dated back to when she was three, or four maybe.

The orphanage that sheltered her for a few years was nothing worth mentioning (bland food, old clothes and the bare minimum of schooling; all that probably came as a must-do since such structures lived off of the city's patronage) and the company there was even less so.

She liked to think that she deserved better than that: even without parents, even without clear memories of how they died or disappeared, she believed in her own future with steadfast decisiveness.

When she was adopted, two years later her acceptance in the institute, she didn't expect her life to take such a turn. Her new parents, which apparently thought strongly about their new child's future to the point of having everything planned out until her coming of age and some years more, made her sick quickly.

Higher-class couples, to busy with appearances and prestige, should never be allowed to have children, even less to have a word on how they were brought up. But, despite everything, they paid all the lessons with the best tutors and helped her nurture a brilliant mind.

The more she shone, the more they'd be "proud" of her and gave her gifts, praises and attention.

She even started considering using the name they gave her--her first one, which she used in the orphanage, was erased from the documents of adoption. It felt like her parents were bringing home a pup of some species, instead of a kid. Not that such an affirmation was too far from the truth anyway.

Almost nine years passed and the little, scrawny kid slowly but surely bloomed into a beautiful, talented young lady. Surely, there were quite some ups and downs, but her life went smoothly at that point, even a little boring.

Living in Yorkshin City wasn't nothing special, after one settled in. The hustle and bustle, the tall buildings that almost covered the whole sky, the countless shops and luminous insignias all around the streets, the high criminality rate; everything fell into "normality" after a while.

It was good.

.

.

.

.

.

Surely, there would be someone living such a life someday.

.