extra chapter ❚ remembrance

AUTHOR'S NOTE

The recollection starts around 20 years prior to the beginning of this book. As the chapter progresses, weeks or months or even years have passed, even if not openly specified.

.

Today grandfather Zeno has come back from work with a child.

He says she's going to live with us, but neither father or mother seem to be happy about it. I personally don't see a problem with her, however... I don't know what to do. My parents tell me to just ignore her and focus on my training, which is the most important thing for me at the moment, yet grandfather insists I at least try to talk with her a little, to make her comfortable.

I don't know how to make someone comfortable. Nobody ever taught me that.

Still, I try to please grandfather's request.

.

.

.

«Hey.» the dark haired child called, upon entering the room of the new kid.

The door had been left open, as usual, after the little accident the first night of her stay: when the maid assigned to her tried to close the door, the child had sprung out from under the covers and dashed through the entrance. It took them fifteen minutes to find her--a remarkable feat for such a scrawny kid against people trained like them.

Illumi searched for her, looking around calmly until he saw her small frame by the library. She was sitting on the floor, her legs close to her chest and her tiny hands holding a book so strongly that he could see her knuckles turning white. She almost seemed to want to occupy as little space as possible.

And yet, what caught him first were her eyes--grey, with dark blue hues, and so expressive that her stare almost felt like a punch in his stomach.

He gulped silently, walking up to her. «Hi, I'm Illumi.» he greeted, getting no response. «Are you settling fine?» was his second try, only to be unsuccessful again. He began shifting uncomfortably. «Can you talk at all...?»

Still nothing. Illumi sighed, letting his shoulders drop a little--well, he tried, right? His grandfather couldn't say he didn't, right?

The child left the room a few minutes after entering.

(the feeling of a pair of intense eyes never abandoned his retreating back.)

.

.

.

I can't understand why grandfather still bothers with her, really.

After our first meeting, I was encouraged to try and speak with her again, but to no avail. She never replies to me, only... stares. It has become rather annoying, so I decided to just ignore her.

Actually... it's been a while since I saw that child. Mother says that grandfather has began training her personally in the art of assassination, which means she'll be probably undergoing the body strengthening phase.

Grandfather Zeno can be rather demanding and harsh on his pupils, at least that's what father said, but I can't help but feel a little jealous... I want to be trained by grandfather too.

.

.

.

It was late at night, a few months after the odd child first arrived at the estate.