Chapter 38 - Bow To The Godfather

Raffaele

Waking up this morning, I have the perfect view of Asimina fast asleep; her naked body on full display. In my world, this is the only heaven I will ever experience. I slide out of bed and read a text. Bianca and Petro have Nathan downstairs. Both have grown attached to him and are intrigued by his personality. Petro notices little traits of Asimina. He can't just take after me; she's his mother after all.

Throwing on a pair of sweatpants, I run my fingers down her bare arms and place a gentle kiss on Asimina's cheek. She doesn't budge. She's completely knocked out. It's astonishing how she can sleep through anything. Sneaking out of the room, I head downstairs to see my son. He's energetic this morning. I can hear him yelling as I push the doors open to the kitchen.

"Hey, watch this," Petro muses. Leaning over the bench, he tries to take a piece of Nathan's toast. My son belts out a scream and puts his hands over his food.

"Oh, that is his mother," he laughs. He's not wrong!

"Leave him alone." Bianca rolls her eyes and places a gentle kiss on his cheek. "You're too cute, Nathan," she giggles.

Walking over, I pick him up. He places his buttery hands on my cheeks before rubbing his face onto mine. It warms my heart how affectionate he now is with me. Finally, I hold the child I pictured with Asimina. Although he doesn't replace our first, he's equally loved and wanted.

"Ti Amo - I love you," I murmur, talking to my son. He intently locks his eyes with mine. Asimina is right; he has my glare. He will intimidate women and men with just his eyes. Sitting Nathan on the bench, I take a seat on the stool behind him and bring his plate in front of him. The rest of my capos and my two brothers enter for our morning meeting.

"Hey, little man." Stefano places a kiss on his head. Nathan is comfortable around him. He smiles back at Stefano and begins his baby babble.

"Is that so?" My brother plays along, laughing at him. Placing his hand over Nathan's stomach, he comments, "Need to lay off that pasta, Nate."

Every single man in this kitchen waits for a chance to interact with him. It has become our morning routine before we get stuck in business updates. Tommy picks him up and points a finger to his chest. "You're getting christened today, and it's Greek-style! Meaning you buddy, are going to be completely naked." Narrowing his eyes at Nathan, he warns, "Don't piss on me!"

My son mischievously shoves his fingers into Tommy's mouth in response. My brother, dry heaves, spitting out soggy pieces of bread. Nathan's curly laugh echoes in the kitchen. His laughter's contagious.

"You're a lucky man. He's perfect. Full of life, and he's healthy." Antonio smiles.

I am lucky. These simple things are what make life worth living. My parents have always emphasized the importance of family and enjoying these little moments. It took becoming a parent to understand those words. "You're getting old Antonio, not thinking of having any of your own?" I question, putting my uncle on the spot.

"I'm only six years older than you." Exhaling slowly, he sighs, "Soon. Nat hasn't felt ready. I respect her decisions." He pulls a seat next to me.

"Ready?" I question, hiking a brow. I veer my eyes towards him. "What is it with the women in our lives not being ready?" I expand on my previous question. "Gloria, Lia, Bianca, and now Nat have all said the same thing."

Asimina, I understand. She had Nathan, our relationship needed to mend, and her only other reason for waiting a year is to make up for the lost time as a family and allow a bond to build between Nathan and me.

"Her sister wasn't in her life Raffaele. It was extremely difficult for both Nat and Lia to build a life, a family without Asimina being a part of that. They are close, and the way things unfolded took a toll on both women." Sighing deeply, he faces me. "I'm surprised they accepted proposals and planned weddings. Lia said no to Matteo twice before accepting."