Chapter 8 - Not Without A Fight

Raffaele

Stefano snaps his eyes to meet mine. He sits stunned, mouth agape, confused. The test results in my hand show negative to the Agosti's and positive to Morelli's. His eyes narrow, and his brows pull together, "What?" he bellows.

Standing abruptly to his feet, he continues to rant, his breathing enhances, "What the fuck did you just call me?" Balling his fists, he yanks onto the chains. "Get these fucking things off me, now! I'm done here."

Facing Mark and Sal, I nod and the boy's approach with the keys. Tommy and Antonio gawk, waiting for answers. Antonio snatches the paper out of my hands, almost ripping it, reading the results along with Tommy. Their eyes scan between the results, to Stefano, and back to me.

"You're our brother. Fuck! You have no idea how long we have been looking for you!" Tommy blurts. He begins to get emotional, his throat clogs. "Stefano, you're finally fucking home!"

"I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but I am not your brother!" Stefano states, frantic. He rubs his wrists as the chains come off.

I'm rendered mute, suddenly I have lost the capability to speak. I knew he was alive. I wouldn't have stopped until I found him. No matter how long it took. Now he's standing right in front of me, my brother. The last time I saw him was when I wrote his name on that model car, in bold black letters. My heart beats erratically. Fuck! So many years lost. He's now a man, no longer that little boy who stole my toys.

He has endured a hard life; he has struggled. He's fought. He should have been at home with his family—me his older brother, protecting him and guiding him. "I grab the results out of Tommy's hands and slam them into Stefano's chest.

"You're our brother! You were kidnapped at the age of six. At first, we were led to believe you were dead. Until seven years ago, some new information came to light. We spent the last seven years looking for you."

I swallow the lump in my throat, threatening to choke me. I just want to embrace him. My mind is in shambles; the woman I love found my brother unknowingly and saved him.

His breathing becomes erratic as he's reading the results, "How do I know this isn't fake?" He hikes a brow. "Hmm, I can't be your brother I was abandoned. I had a fucking head injury. I remember nothing," he screams.

"You were kidnapped. No one ever abandoned you." Antonio's firm voice is heard. He won't allow anyone to make assumptions. He knows my mother's struggle.

Stefano rubs his face in frustration and stares at the ceiling. "I don't believe these results! What the fuck are the chances?" Pacing frantically, he shakes his head, trying to make sense of everything. "I want new tests done! I want fresh samples." Taking a heavy breath, he seethes. "I want to fucking witness those tests."

"Let's go to the hospital lab now," I comply quickly, resting my hands on my waist. I look up at my brother. His eyes are teary. He's struggling to get his head around things.

Diving his hand into his pocket, he pulls out his phone, swiping the screen. "Baby, what's up?" Exhaling slowly, he clears his throat. "Okay, I'll be home soon. I'm just finishing off with a run." He hums and says before ending the call, "I love you, Jaz."

Sliding his phone back into his pocket, he stays focused on the ground, completely lost in thought. I need to know what he is thinking, so, I ask that very question. "What's on your mind?"

Shaking his head, he starts to get emotional; disheartening breaths escape him. "I always wanted to know who my family was. You all fucked Mina over. She can't do this. She can't be near any of you. It was heart-wrenching watching her battle with herself just to come to this wedding."