Chapter 34 - Blood Is Thicker Than Water

Raffaele POV

Asimina was up nice and early. Usually, I'm the one dragging her out of bed. The roles reversed this morning. She jumped on me while I begged for an extra hour. Unenthusiastically, I got up and dressed while Asimina watched, biting her lip the entire time. She's become a pervert! Amused, I smile at my thoughts.

Eager to leave, she packed all our belongings last night, ready to be thrown in a car this morning. The truth is I'm ready to go home. Although I hide my feelings better than Asimina, I have missed my son immensely. Amongst all this, I'm prepared to be a father: the early mornings, late nights, and bath time. I'm ready for it all! I instantly fell in love with him.

The moment Asimina put him in my arms, I had no doubt people would burn before he would be taken from his mother and me. I thought I was murderous before. Then it heightened with Asimina. Now it's beyond anything I ever imagined with Nathan is in the picture. My Demon froths, always ready to unleash.

The one thing I've always admired my father for is his devotion to my mother, my siblings and myself. The man never missed dinner. He attended all of Bianca's dance recitals and every parent-teacher meeting. I aim to be like him, dangerous, yet a family man.

Sitting next to Asimina in the waiting room of the hospital, our fingers interlock. We impatiently wait for the final tests on Kat, giving her flight clearance. Petro is organizing the oral drugs to manage her pain relief until we get home. I've earned a gold star with Asimina, a massage, a wild ride, and an explosive release my reward. I should get things right more often.

Stefano, Mark, and Sal have been working with Victor and Eduardo to identify the attackers at Tropicana. Standing from my seat, I meet the boys halfway. "Results are back," Mark advises. Leaning against the wall he folds his arms across his chest.

"What and who?' I question impatiently.

"Ex Saint Mary assassins hit Victor's club that night." Stefano advises as he glances over at Asimina. Worry lines form on his forehead. They have a close friendship, and she's helping both him and Jaz adjust. He will always feel in debt to her, no matter how many times she protests.

"She's okay, better today now that we're heading home," I answer the questions in his head. Last night she struggled to get Kat's accident off her mind.

"Victor advised they had an attack at one of their warehouses earlier in the week. Is it related?" I probe.

"Nah, that was a small gang trying to steal drugs. The Cuban boys are dealing with them execution-style." Sal grins.

"Tommy is..." I hesitate as I turn to look at my brother. He's still very much hungover. Judging by the way he's alternating between rubbing his forehead and rubbing his neck, I'm guessing he has a pounding headache.

"Out of commission," Alex finishes as he walks over, grinning as he speaks. Leaning against the wall next to Mark, they all burst into laughter, but quickly settle when I hike a brow, gawking.

"Stefano get Antonio to confirm the meeting with the Chief of Police and Mayor. I need to eliminate these cops. The Agosti mob needs to cease," I order.

"Do you think they're involved?" Stefano questions.

"Perhaps," I respond, sliding my hands into my pockets.

He lowers his head skeptically. Stefano has seen some dark and disturbing things on the street and survived. It may have prepared him for some aspect of this life. However, working and directing capos within the mob life is new. My father, Tommy, and the boys are guiding him through, but there's a lot to learn.