Ch.9// Keanu Reeves

Art by Corythec on Newgrounds
This is one of my absolute favorite Squip art

Rich's POV
I was standing at my locker, massaging my temples from this killer hangover.
There was a tap on my shoulder and turned around to see a smiley, happy Y/N.

I grinned and leaned down to kiss her but there was a sharp zap at the base of my skull, making me jolt back. It definitely didn't help my headache.
What do you think you're doing?
Uuggghhhh, please leave me alone.
No, and stand up straight.
Zap!
Ow! Shit, stop it!

"Rich? You okay?" Her hand came to my shoulder and looked down at her. Her gorgeous features highlighted by the sun coming through windows of the classrooms, and her eyebrows turned up in genuine concern, for me.
"Shutdown." I mumbled, leaning down to kiss her again.

She giggled and wrapped her arms around my neck, making my skin tingle. I held her waist and couldn't help but smiling into the kiss, for she was like a massive weight off my shoulders.
Or computer off my brain.
That would make a killer album name.
"Ahem!" A sharp voice behind us beckoned.

I turned around and Jeremy stood there, a very aggravated expression on his face. Before I could tell him to fuck off, Y/N cleared her throat awkwardly and gave me a quick smile, speeding off.

I whipped around and glared at Jeremy.
"What's your deal man?"
I stepped up so I could match his height but of course wasn't even close.
"Just... stay away from my sister okay?" He frowned. This was... slightly weird.

"Wouldn't you want her to get popular though?"
He bit his lip and for a moment his eyes didn't show horrid anger, it showed remorse.
"Please..." He said again.
But just as fast his head twitched, like a zap, and his glare returned.
"Back off."
What... the hell am I supposed to do?
Reactivate.

Jeremy's POV
I walked off, leaving Rich confused and standing in the hall.
As much as she needed the social upgrade, I didn't want Y/N to be going out with Rich. If she was to hang out with him, with people like us, she might become mean too. Corrupted by popular people.

Or even worse, Rich could talk her into getting a Squip. That would be a nightmare, because I don't know the first thing about getting rid of them.
And you won't need to. Why would you want to get rid of me?
Keanu Reeves smirked, but caught a glimpse of me and frowned.
Ugh. Go to the bathroom, and fix that awful hair. You look homeless.
You sound like a mom. I rolled my eyes.

He grimaced and glared at me, not fond of my often sarcastic, insulting comments.
How would you know? You don't have any reference after all.
That... kind of hurt my feelings.
You'll get over it.
I walked into the bathroom to fix my hair.

You really should just let Y/N be. If she goes out with Rich, she'll become more popular! Then you won't have to resent her as badly.
But I don't resent her! I simply... don't pay as close attention to her. I do have lots of other friends now.
Right. But if you let her social status improve, then soon she'll be just as close to you as before.
But what if he gives her a Squip? I don't want her to change!
No Jeremy, change is good. We need more change, all of us. Especially her!

Why especially Y/N?
Because she is a cog in the gears Jeremy. Not everything can work as planned if she's here interfering!
Wait... what? You're not making sense.
Never-mind it, you need to get ready for tomorrow. Jake Dillinger's Halloween party.
Oh right! I almost forgot about that.
You did forget. I just reminded you.
Right.

I walked out of the bathroom and ran straight into Y/N. She fell to the floor, and I backed up.
"Oh I-" ZAP! Ow! What the hell?
Don't apologize. Repeat.
But-
Watch it loser!
I found myself saying the words involuntarily, and mentally cursed my Squip but he insisted it was the correct response, so I walked away.

See? Get her popular and you won't have to say things like that.
Alright, alright. But I still don't have to like it.

.