Ch.3// Unease

Rich's POV
"Listen, I-"
Zap!
Rich stop! The voice filled my brain, making me freeze.

How did...? I shut you down!
If your social integrity is in danger of jeopardy, I break protocol. You cannot tell them about me. You have to improve them.
No, no, I can't change Y/N! I don't want to change her she's-
"Rich, what's wrong? Talk to me." Y/N pleaded.

I stared between the two siblings.
What if you just change Jeremy? He wants a better life, you can provide! Give him a Squip, and Y/N's popularity will increase by 62%!
I... okay, that might work.

"I just... nevermind. Y/N I'll talk to you some other time. Now's not good." I explained.
She still looked skeptical, but I sped away before she could ask questions.
Good, good. Let's go talk to Jake.
Yah, sure.

*time skip*

Okay, now go to the bathroom. Jeremy will be in there washing his backpack.
Why'd I have to do that in the first place?
To get him in here, with a good cover. Now shut up and go talk to him.

I walked in, and he immediately saw me, ducking his head to avoid my gaze.
"I told you not, to wash that off." I rolled my eyes. Why'd he have to go and wash it. If he had just left I wouldn't have to do this.
He's- ええとああ.**
W-what?
We are in the presence of 90's soft dr-ああ!システムに障害があります**~*

I had no idea what was going on, so I tried to keep the conversation going, until my whole head zapped and twitched.
I no longer heard the voice in my head, felt his presence looming over me.
"Okay..." Jeremy quivered, trying to leave.
"Thotp!" I yelled. My lisp, he's not here.
This was really up to me now.

He gave me a weird expression, like he knew it was weird for me to talk like this.
"You don't remember me frethman year, do you?" I questioned.
"You didn't go here freshman year."
Well that kinda hurt.
"Y-yeth I did! Thee, you jutht didn't notith.
Nobody did."
The overwhelming thoughts of bullying and loneliness washed over me.
I tried doing something to get my Squip back, and in a desperate attempt slapped the back of my head. He sprung to life immediately.

Oh this is quite a mess you've put us in.
Me? You just-
Silence. Let me handle this.
And the rest was his doing. I told Jeremy all about freshman year, intimate details I would've rather kept to myself.
You'll live. He assured me. Not too reassuring.

I offered him the deal, told him how much better it could make him. He genuinely seemed interested, which excited me.
I told him where to get it, how much, praying to god he'd get one.
Then can I ask out Y/N?
If her popularity increases.
Alright.

And with the final thought of a powerful supercomputer, I left Jermey in the bathroom to ponder.
I made my way out to my car and sighed, laying back in the driver's seat and rubbing my eyes.
Stress levels have elevated. Calm down.
This is just... a lot. A lot to process at once.
What do you mean? Jeremy gets a Squip, Y/N gets popular, you can date her. Simple.
But... yah I guess.
There was no use in arguing, so I started my car and rolled out of the school with an overwhelming sense of unease.

Something about all of this seemed off.
Like... something and was going to happen.
And if it did, it would all be my fault.
Because starting from this moment, I was the kid who convinced Jeremy Heere to get a Squip. Basically drugs.
Was I a drug dealer? Had I stolen Dustin'a rep? I laughed to myself.
No... but something was definitely wrong.

.