The enemy of my enemy is my friend?

Wincing I retract my hand from the cool spring. Despite what Kaede tried, it's still very painful. Also, it does not look very pretty with its blisters. I need to bring in some big guns to help me out with this one, and the banging migraine. Someone who doesn't ask too many questions...

I turn my head towards the bushes as they rustle, expecting it to be Kagome with the ointment and bandages she said she would get. But I tense when an unfamiliar face appears from the shadows.

"My my, that's quite a battle scar." his smooth voice rings through the clearing. It gives me the shivers.

I eye the stranger. Though looking quite handsome with his long dark wavy hair and sharp features, he gives out some bad vibes. It's mostly because of his blood red eyes that ooze malice.

"Yeah? I've seen worse." I mutter, staying on high alert.

He only smiles, trying to look disarming. "Sesshomaru is quite the opponent, not one to underestimate." he muses.

I scoff. "Speaking from experience?"

"Indeed. Quite a ruthless man, isn't he?" he questions rhetorically. "If anyone can wipe out your friends from existence, it would be Sesshomaru."

My hand twitches as the burning feeling starts to increase again. I need to get to Yukina soon, but here I am chatting it up with this complete stranger.

"Your point being? Who the hell are you anyway?" I ask him agitatedly, the pain distracting and irritating me.

"Do not be upset, I only wish to offer you my help." he explains smoothly before throwing something at me which I manage to catch with my good hand.

I look down at the simple bracelet in my hand. It looks like any ordinary Mala bracelet, but I sense something coming from it, some sort of strange energy signature.

"If you manage to put that on Sesshomaru, it will certainly subdue him." he states plainly, making me look back at him questioningly, so he continues. "He won't be able to hurt you or even try without it affecting him. Not only that, he is forced to heed your call. You only have to say his name."

"So, this is some 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' thing you're getting to, is that it?" I question.

He chuckles, "That is one way of saying it."

I glance back at the bracelet in thought. "It can't be that simple of putting it on him. What's the catch?" I ask, wondering if he doesn't have some user manual on this thing.

He chuckles once more, "You're quite bright, aren't you? Sadly, you are right. If you want for it to have any effect, you will have to kiss him." he explains as if it's no big deal.

".............. Hahawhaha! That's the best joke I've heard yet! Really, you had me there for a moment." I laugh, wiping the tears from the corners of my eyes. I compose myself after a moment of snickering, "So, how does this work really?" I ask, dangling the bracelet in my fingers.

The man looks unamused however. "Exactly like I just told you." he deadpans, making me reel in my smile.

"Crud." I sigh, eying the bracelet, "Well that is not going to happen."

He shrugs. "Suit yourself. Eventually the choice is yours but think it over carefully. It could save your life, or your friend's. Isn't a little kiss worth a life?" he questions before turning his back to me.

"You are playing around with some serious voodoo here." I state, eying him suspiciously. "Why do I get the feeling like I'm letting myself in with a devil?"

"Hm? A devil?" he mutters amusedly, glancing back over his shoulder, his red irises seeming to glow slightly. "I am merely a hanyou like yourself. My only wish is to aid a fellow hanyou. Should we not look out for each other against such menacing forces like Sesshomaru?" he says before moving away and out of the clearing.

I blink after his retreating back until I can sense his presence no longer. "You speak pretty words, but they're coated with poison."

I hiss when my hand sears in pain once more, snapping my attention to it. Stuffing the bracelet in my pocket I quickly duck my hand in the cool water to relief me of some pain. "Sesshomaru, you asshole."

.........

"I'm sorry Kira, I'm afraid this is the best I can do." Yukina apologizes, her voice filled with disappointment.

I look down at my hand, flexing it. It doesn't hurt anymore, but there is some clear scarring left by some of the worst blisters.

I smile reassuringly at the gentle ice maiden. "Don't worry about it Yukina, I'm just happy the pain is gone. I'm grateful for your help."

She finally manages a smile. "I'll go make some tea." she decides, leaving the room with quiet footfalls.

Now that she's gone, I can't help but release the yawn that has been waiting to come out for a while now. Rubbing my eyes tiredly, I lean back, looking out to the well-kept garden of the temple.

I don't want to give the guy too much credit, but Sesshomaru must be the toughest opponent I've encountered so far. And he clearly enjoys rubbing in his victories, calling me pitiful... That ass!

But beside being about the rudest person I met; he is seriously dangerous. He is definitely one that can back up his threats. I hate the idea of Kagome, Inuyasha and the others having to face him, because from what I learned, he will surely come back.

Inuyasha explained that his brother is seeing green about the sword he inherited from their father instead of leaving it to Sesshomaru. And Sesshomaru would not mind seeing Inuyasha dead if that meant getting that sword. That Inuyasha is his half-brother doesn't seem to matter to him; in fact, it only seems more fuel for his animosity.

Kagome told me that Sesshomaru can't stand Inuyasha because he is a symbol, the very product of their father's weakness. And from there stems the hate for all half-demons like Inuyasha.

Now if that isn't pitiful....

"Here you go." Yukina's voice cuts through my musings before placing a cup and saucer on the table for me.

"Keiko called earlier to say that you left your umbrella with Yusuke." she informs me.

"Oh, so that's where I left it! I was in such a hurry. Really could have used it..." I mutter the last part to myself as I tell myself to go pick it up later.

It's silent for a precious moment, just the both of us enjoying our tea and the nice breeze making its way into the room, but my mind stays restless. I don't know who that stranger was, and I know manipulation when I hear it, but damn did he leave a seed to fester in my brain.

"You look worried." Yukina notes suddenly, making me whip my head around to look at her, her gentle red eyes looking pensive.

I sigh, swirling the last drops of tea around in the porcelain cup before downing it. Releasing a deep breath.

"Yukina, I'm afraid I'm going to do something stupid before long."