The mystery that is Sesshomaru

~ Kurama's pov

"So that's it? We know nothing...?" Yusuke wonders, looking defeated. It's been days since Kira was grabbed from right under our noses and it's taking its toll, on the both of us.

I press my lips together feeling frustrated myself. Spirit world has no record of the demon that took Kira, nor could I find anything on him from my resources in Demon world. It seems for now our trail runs cold.

"I'm certain we will find something in time. We just haven't spoken to the right people yet." I assure Yusuke as well as myself.

Yusuke scoffs. "Time? Who knows how much we've got of that? We don't know what that guy could be doing to her!"

I clench my fists. "I know. I know Yusuke." I say, sharing his concerns.

~ Kira's pov

It's been so quiet... I don't believe Sesshomaru is a man without a mission but why does it seem that he has been the past few days? He hasn't even bothered me about the bracelet. There must be something he is after, something I haven't figured out yet.

We haven't encountered Kagome, so it must not be Inuyasha that Sesshomaru is after right now or he would have found him by now. So, what is he looking for right now?

"Kira!" an excited voice calls me out of my musings, and I turn to Rin who swims up beside me in our little spring. "You're shining."

I watch her finger reach out and trace the skin on my bare upper arm. "It's so pretty." she coos.

Looking down at myself I see several spots on my skin glistening and hardening. Mh, it seems my inner demon is seeping through again. I'm surprised it doesn't scare Rin. Instead of alarmed at the unusual skin, Rin finds it fascinating. I never really took the opportunity to take it all in and decide if it's indeed pretty or not.

It's so strange to me. My demon self and I have always been at odds ever since I can remember. It hardly ever works with me except for the rare event here and there. It's like it's too lazy. I wonder what it will take to properly awaken it. But until I figure that out, I'll have to depend on my spirit energy.

"Shall we get out Rin? You're starting to prune. Soon you'll look like a little old lady." I tell her, poking her in the ribs. She giggles in delight.

"Yes, and then we'll go eat!" she exclaims, quickly dragging herself out the water and drying off with a cloth. She's already off before I even get the chance to catch up.

I can't help but smile in amusement. That girl is like a hurricane at times but she's too damn cute to scold. Before meeting Rin, I didn't imagine to be such a sucker for kids. Honestly baby's scare me, and toddlers make me feel awkward, but perhaps Rin is just old enough to feel connected to, who knows? But she wrapped me around her little finger, that's for sure.

Getting out of the spring, I quickly wrap myself in a similar cloth that Rin used to cover myself up. Public nudity is not something I feel particularly comfortable with.

My skin quickly heats up as I make for my clothes, causing the water to evaporate. When reaching down for my underwear, a rustle in the bushes alerts me and I whip around, my finger pointed and ready to blow away any peeping toms.

I jump as a finch suddenly bursts out of the bush, scaring the shit out of me before I release a large sigh. "Ugh, this place is making me paranoid."

Not wasting anymore time I quickly dress and follow the direction Rin went, back to our make-shift camp.

I'm only halfway there when I nearly run into a broad chest. "Sesshomaru?" I look up at him questioningly. The man has hardly given me the light of day since I got here, no, since he abducted me here. So, to see him standing here as if he was waiting, his eyes looking like he needs something of me, is kind of surprising.

"Rin was worried because you took so long." Is all he says before turning around and leading the way back to camp.

I blink after him, surprised. Okaaay.... That sounds like a lame excuse if I ever heard one.

I scoff. "If you're worried I gave up and ran off, you're taking me too lightly Sesshomaru." I tell him as I start to follow behind him. "I never give up."

He halts in his tracks, eying me over his shoulder. "We know that's not true." He drawls, turning to face me.

I bristle at the accusation. "Oh, please tell. Have I missed something?"

He holds up his wrist, showing off the mala bracelet. "You were ready to break." He states. I open my mouth to protest but he is quick to cut me off, "I could tell you were giving in. Despair is not easily hidden."

I slowly close my mouth, clenching my jaw in anger. He is right. He nearly won. He had victory in his grasp but then... he didn't take it. Why?

The question must've been easy to read from my expression as he says, "My reasoning is not of your concern." He tells me blandly.

"The hell it isn't!" I call after him as he turns around and continues on his way, ignoring me. "Dammit Sesshomaru!"

Frustrated I kick a rock his way only to double over like it hit me in the gut instead. "Dammit all." I groan before picking up what's left of my pride and return to camp.