Going up in flames

I can't..... but I must. It's becoming too much though. How am I going to keep this up? I'm going to lose myself at the cost of protecting my friends. Will Sesshomaru walk away victorious?

He did a lot of things to aggravate me over the past days; Get in my way while on missions, made it impossible to go see any friends, turned my house upside down, deprived me from sleep, violated my privacy, you name it.

But the thing that really pushed me to the edge is now laying broken in my arms. My poor violin. I watched horrified as he just snapped it in two and I couldn't contain myself as I tried everything to break him in half, only to suffer for it myself.

Afterwards I just about crawled into my room, slamming the door off its hinges and crawled into bed. It's been silent since.

Perhaps I should be worried, but I'm. just. so. tired. Feeling tears of frustration come to me I lay my arm over my eyes to hide them so I can release them quietly.

Before sleep grabs a hold of me, I apologize to Kagome in advance. I don't think I can take another day of this. I'm going to bring that asshole back where he belongs. He won this battle.

~Sesshomaru's pov

I scoff when the smell of salt reaches my nose. She's reaching her limit. I'm rather surprised she lasted this long though. She turned out to be more resilient than I expected her to be.

If I knew it would take breaking one silly instrument.... That look of utter defeat when I crushed the wood under my foot. It wasn't even intentionally. It just laid in my way. I almost feel bad about it.

Almost.

But my patience with this young hanyou has reached its limit also. I need to return to my own land. Naraku and Inuyasha had their peaceful days, but that's about to come to an end.

Certain that the woman is asleep, I turn towards her cooking area where she attempted several times to make something to soothe her hunger before I ruined the dish as soon as I had the chance.

Remembering how she put the contraption into work, I fire up the stove. I take a moment to appreciate this control of fire before taking a drape that I have torn from the window earlier and toss it on the fire to burn.

I can't help but smirk at myself as it catches fire, it rapidly spreading. It will kill the hanyou without me having to lay a finger on her. I just let the fire and smoke do the work for me.

As a thick blanket of smoke starts to envelope the room, I turn my back, taking one final glance at the woman to see her sleeping form laying there, blissfully unaware of what is about to befall her as she still clutches the ruined instrument to her chest.

"Hm."

Soon I find myself outside, watching from a distance as the smoke has quickly thickened, leaving not a soul to see inside. The only thing to be seen is the flickers of light cast from the flames crawling up the walls. And as I take in the growing destruction, I find myself confused.

Where is my satisfaction?

Glancing around, no one seems to have noticed that the life of the woman is in peril. The humans are still sleeping away the night in peace.

Cracking glass gathers my attention. It seems the heat is too immense for it to last much longer. It makes me wonder, will she die choking on the thick smoke or burn alive?

The thought brings little pleasure and a dissatisfied growl settles in my throat. I should be glad to be rid of her, so why am I not?

Is it because I could not kill her by my own hands and had to result to such a tactic to kill her? That usually doesn't faze me much. The ends justify the means. And this measure is quick and pain free for me. It is working perfectly, so why...?

Cursing to myself, I rush back to the building, breaking the window to her sleeping quarters with little effort, causing the smoke to poor out profusely.

I find her bed more by memory than sight and find her limp body still where I left her. Ignoring the fire heating my back I lift her up by her waist and follow the smoke back out the window.

Having put some distance between us and the burning home I drop her on the roof of a taller building. I roll her over to her back with my foot, watching intently for a sign of life while ignoring the increasing noise down below caused by the shocked people who have woken from their sleep at last.

The hanyou's face remains relaxed, not giving off any indication for an intake for breath. Has she already passed? I frown. I still don't know what has caused be to retrieve her, but I haven't gone through the effort for this result.

I put my hand on Tenseiga to seize its insistent rattling and take the sword out of its sheath with a sigh. With a single swing, the woman starts gasping for air.

"KIRA!" a voice calls from below as I pick the limp girl back up while she keeps taking in rasping breaths.

Looking back, I see two figures pushing through the throng of people towards her home that is now completely engulfed in flames.

~Kurama' pov

Yusuke and I reach the door at the same time, and kicking it open we are greeting by a tremendous blaze.

I pull Yusuke back as a flash fire comes rushing our way. "Go around, see if you can go through the back. I'll check the windows." I order.

Nodding, he takes off around the block while I go around the front to check for an opening.

I inhale sharply as I sense a demonic presence nearby. It's powerful and not hiding. It can't be a coincidence that such a demon is near while Kira's apartment is going up in flames.

Whipping my head up in the direction where I sense this demon, my eyes narrow in on a tall figure on top of a different apartment block. I immediately notice the limp figure hanging from its arm.

"Yusuke!!" I call, hoping he will hear my call before abandoning my previous mission of getting into Kira's home to taking her out of that demon's hands.

I grit my teeth as the demon takes off at great speed, it is hard to keep up, especially since this demon has the higher ground.

Not wanting to risk losing them, I change into my demon form to gain some speed. My ear twitches as I hear Yusuke's footsteps and heavy breathing a little way behind me.

I cross an alley and spot a way up to the roofs, not hesitating to rush up there. Once landing on the rooftop I halt in my tracks, scanning my surroundings. Where did they go?

Movement in the dark sky catches my attention. The demon is flying, taking an unconscious Kira with him.

I try to keep them in my sight, but stumble as I run out of rooftops, the cityscape changing for suburbs. Looking back up after my near fall, I see an empty sky ahead of me. I lost them.

"KIRA!!"