What the frick!?

"What are you doing?" Rin asks innocently as she sees me hurriedly scribbling down something on a piece of paper that I managed to 'borrow' last time we passed through a village. A piece of charcoal functions as pencil.

I sigh, deciding to be honest with her. "I'm writing a letter to a friend. If we run into Inuyasha I'll ask Kagome to deliver it for me. I've been gone for a while and I know my friend will worry. I just want to tell him I'm fine." I explain.

Rin blinks curiously at the letter but doesn't seem to be able to make much of it. "Are you close friends?" she asks.

I nod, humming. "He's not only my friend, but also my teacher. He thought me a lot about fighting so I can help make the world a saver place. He's a bit like an older brother; really annoying at times but I know I can count on him when I need him." I tell her, feeling a smile come to my lips.

Rin matches my smile, rolling back and forth on the balls of her feet. "It must be nice. I wish I had a sibling, then we could play together, and I could teach them stuff too." She sighs dreamily.

I reach out, stroking her cheek as I feel for her. It must not be easy to be so young and often so alone.

Sensing Sesshomaru approaching, I quickly fold the letter and stuff it in my clothes before wiping my hands on the damp grass to get the charcoal off of my fingers.

He stops for a moment, eying the both of us for a moment. "We're leaving. Rin, can you fetch Ah-Un?"

"Yes m'lord!" she answers excitedly, ready to skip off before pausing, seeming to deeply think about something. "What is it Rin?" Sesshomaru asks, raising his brow.

"Lord Sesshomaru, can you and Kira get me a sibling?" I feel my mouth drop at the question. What the heck?!

This is the first time that I've seen Sesshomaru taken aback, but it doesn't last long as his face goes back to its usual neutral state. "Don't be ridiculous." He states, making Rin's face drop. I watch her shuffle off, looking downtrodden.

Looking back at Sesshomaru I'm faced with his glare, making me put my hands up in surrender. "Don't look at me! I'm not putting ideas in her head." I defend, before scowling back at him, putting my hands in my side. "Did you have to be so blunt about it though? Don't you see that she feels lonely when you're not around?"

He's silent for a long moment, before saying, "I tried to bring her back where she belongs, among humans. It did not work." He confesses, making me huff.

"Well of course not. She loves you to bits, anyone can see that. She'd never part from you if given the choice."

"But I cannot always stay by her side either. It would get her killed." He states as a matter of fact. I purse my lips, humming in thought. He has a point there.

"What?" I ask when I notice him staring.

"Nothing." He simply states, turning his back to me and setting off, leaving me to follow in silence. Sometimes I wonder what is going on in that head of his.

Several nights later I find myself awake, having been shocked awake by my body reacting to a dream I was having. I was flying around when suddenly I lost all control and crashed. It's safe to say that there is a little too much adrenaline in my system right now.

I blink up at the stars wondering how long I've been here. I'm slowly losing track of time I realize. Time flies when you're having fun they say. There may be a bit of truth to that. Surprisingly my time here hasn't been all that bad. Rin for instance has been an absolute doll, there is no other word for it. That girl deserves the world, she really does.

And somehow, against all odds, Sesshomaru and I can have a decent conversation without trying to murder each other. Not that we could even if we wanted to. But I did learn there is more behind the cold mask. Maybe he isn't such a big asshole as I originally believed but a slightly less big asshole.

But putting that aside, I seemed to have forgotten what I'm truly supposed to be doing. I really shouldn't be staying here for as long as I have. Mentally I send Rin my apologies, but I do have to try harder to get back to my own time.

I look over at Sesshomaru who's in his usual position. He has the jewel shard dangling over his clothes as if he's taunting me with it. Should I give it another shot?

Oh, what the hell. What do I have to lose? There I go again.

This time it seems to be going easier as I actually get a grasp on the shard without disturbing him. It makes me carefully optimistic.

Finding a weak spot in the mounting of the shard, I pinch it before halting. I know the snapping sound will wake him, so how do I go about this?

Oh!

I lean closer, putting the jewel in my mouth. I try not to get distracted by Sesshomaru's body heat. Clenching my teeth around the mount, I'm ready to free the jewel shard from its bind.

"This again? I thought you would have learned the first time." a familiar voice breathes, making me groan. Shit.

Looking up, there are two golden eyes piercing through mine with a hint of annoyance. He hardly looks impressed at my try to reclaim the shard.

His hand wraps around the chain, gently pulling, but I decided... I'm not letting go this time. Irritation crosses his features. "Let go." He warns.

"Not a chance." I hiss through my clenched teeth. I figure as soon as he loses his cool and goes to strike me, I'll take my chance and snatch it from him while he suffers the backlash.

For a long moment we stare at each other until I pull back slightly, pulling on the chain to seek a reaction from Sesshomaru.

Instinctively I flinch a little as his hand releases the chain and shoots towards my face and I ready myself for a mad dash away from him with the jewel, only to freeze as his hand halts om my cheek in a soft caress.

Startled, I look back at his smug face. His hand slides past my ear and towards the back of my head, his nails tangling in my hair as he pulls me closer. I can nearly drown in his eyes with how close they are getting. His breath tingles on my lips as his center themselves before mine.

"Don't play games you cannot win." He whispers before I receive the biggest start of a lifetime. His lips rest tightly on mine, parting them. I'm lost in the sensation, barely feeling his thump press into my cheek and in-between my jaws, unhinging them.

I can't seem to be able to think straight anymore, much less resist him prying my mouth open, especially when his tongue slides into my mouth, searching.

All this would leave me wondering afterwards why he didn't just snatch the shard and left it at that. No, he took the time to explore, pretending he could not get a grip. Was he doing that for solely his enjoyment or to prove a point of who really was in control? Or maybe that's just my mind making stuff up and I imagined it taking a whole sixty seconds.

All I knew was that when he pulled back, the shard clenched between his teeth and his lips moist from our joined saliva, I became furious. And mostly at myself.