The wind sorceress

It's been a few hours since Sesshomaru suddenly got up and left, taking Jaken with him, and thankfully leaving some breathing room for me. I'm not particularly worried he'll make off with the shard because Rin has been left in my care and I know he'll return for her. Also, I don't believe anyone will be able to snatch it from his person as long as he's alive. And I know for a fact that anyone killing Sesshomaru sometime soon is something of a stretch.

Man, I don't know why the thought makes my skin crawl. Must be because he'll leave poor Rin behind. And maybe, just maybe because it'll be a shame to lose such a fine specimen of a man. But you won't ever hear me admitting that out loud. If only he wasn't such an asshole.

"Mh?" I hum as I sense a demon approaching, making me look to the sky.

Rin takes notice as well, "Oh no. It's Kagura!" she gasps, as she is quick to hide behind me.

"Isn't she one of Naraku's lackeys?" I ask myself, having heard the name before.

The demoness approaches, landing on the ground across from us. "Well, well. What do we have here?"

I narrow my eyes at her, ready for anything. "Cut to the chase Kagura. Why did you come?"

She hardly looks surprised to see that I knew her name. "I see you've heard of me. Very well, let me come to the point." She smirks, pulling out a hand fan and gently fanning herself.

"A little bird told me that Inuyasha's wench gave you a shard of the sacred jewel." She muses. "Hand it over." She demands, her tone instantly changing.

I tilt my head, barely able to hide my amusement. So they don't know I don't have it anymore. I could use that to my advantage. If I keep the focus on me, it will mean less trouble for Kagome and the others. But I'll have to be careful with Rin around.

"How rude. You don't even bother to ask nicely." I answer her with a hint of mischief, irking her. "Though that will make little difference, I confess. The answer is no any time of the day. So I suppose that means we fight?"

"Indeed." Kagura scoffs. "I hope you are ready for me."

I motion for Rin to run and take cover. As soon as she's out of sight I smile. "Oh, I am ready." I've been waiting for a moment to take out my frustrations on someone and I've been handed the perfect candidate.

~ Sesshomaru's pov

Another dead end. I gaze around the empty plane that just previously held Naraku's scent. I really despise having been led on the wrong track once again. What a waste of time.

Turning around, I make my way back to where I left Rin and Kira. Luckily Jaken remains silent for a change, having learned not to open his big mouth at a time like this.

Speaking of a big mouth, Kira had better not get in any trouble.

I can't help but sigh inwardly, feeling rather frustrated as I remember her confusion when she wondered why I didn't push through in breaking her. I could have been rid of her a long time ago if I did. She knows that as well as I do. But I couldn't give her a clear answer, simply because I don't have one.

She's an odd one. Still I do not even know what her demon blood contains as she hardly lets it show. Instead she depends on another power, although I would not call it weak, it's flawed. It's clear she has not been the master over that kind of power for long.

I must admit though, despite her being a half demon who doesn't seem capable of using her own strength, there is a lot of potential there. If only she didn't let her emotions control her.

But still, it makes little sense to me that I'm keeping her around but here I am doing just that. Despite not having let her die her the first chance I had, I'm certain there are other ways, so what is holding me back?

Maybe her use will be made clear to me in time.

~Kira's pov

I glare down at the beaten down woman in front of me, her previously kept appearance long but gone. "I'll let you live for now but pass Naraku this message; If he wants the shard, he'll have to step up his game."

Kagura grinds her teeth. She barely has the energy left to summon a large feather to fly away.

I watch her leave. It would be so easy to shoot her down, but that's not the person I am. I would rather end someone face to face. Besides, I want her to pass the message. I need Naraku himself to come.

If I manage to put an end to him, it would solve a lot of problems for my friends and the people living in this time. Koenma would scold me for interfering but I'm already into deep. Might as well see this through to the end.

I quickly wipe my cheek when I hear Rin calling, wiping away the minimal blood that was left there after getting cut by one of Kagura's wind blades.

"Rin, you okay?" I ask, turning to her. "Uhu." She nods. "Are you?" she asks in return.

"I'm fine Rin. And I'm sure she won't bother us again for a while." I assure her. "Let's go back to where we left Ah-Un, I'm sure they're bored without us." I suggest, making her smile and nod in agreement.

Later when night is falling, and Rin and I already ate is when Sesshomaru and Jaken show up. Sesshomaru instantly turns his eyes to me sharply.

"Kagura was here?" he more like states than asks.

"She was. We didn't see eye to eye, so I send her on her way." I shrug, noticing him eying my already healing cheek.

He hums in reply before sauntering over to my other side and taking a seat right up against a large tree like he so often does. Guess that's it for tonight's interaction. Oh well.

Falling back to the mossy ground, I put my arms behind my head, staring up at the stars. It's one thing I appreciate in being here; the clear skies. This world is still so pure compared to how it is in my own time. Such a shame...

"Kira." A quiet voice whispers, making me turn to Rin who stands next to me. "Can I sleep beside you?"

I can't help but smile at the question and open an arm to receive her. She is quick to lie down, cuddled up next to me.

I try to ignore Sesshomaru's gaze and close my eyes, eager for some sleep. And it doesn't take long for me and Rin to drift of in the quiet of the night, feeling safe.