Chapter 32

We sat across from each other, neither of us saying anything. As I looked at her, I wondered if telling her about her brother would be such a bad thing. But as I thought of all the ways she could react (only a handful were good reactions) I had to stop myself and think about this a different way. She wouldn't be very happy with me if I left her in the dark much longer. Plus, I knew no one else here would even think about telling her the truth.

Taking a deep breath, I began. "Lance was your brother. You and him weren't twins- he was older than you by a couple years- but if someone were to spend the afternoon with you guys, you'd never be able to know. Not only were you inseparable, it got to a point were you two could actually finish each other's sentences.

"He had blonde hair similar to yours, but from a dare we gave him, he got a blood red streak in it." I chuckled, remembering that crazy night. "For some reason, he decided to keep it. He also preferred to have his hair spiked up, but that was mostly because he knew you hated it that way. He was also pretty tall as well. Probably around 6'5". However, he had Orabelle's eyes. Other than that, you guys looked about the same."

It was a few minutes later when Rose spoke. Her voice was soft as it broke the silence. "What happened to him?"

I looked up into her eyes for a second before she looked away. Once again debating on whether or not to tell her, I also dropped my eyes. "He was killed by werewolves."

As I spoke, she tilted her head in the slightest way. "You say that like you disagree."

I shrugged. "I think we all have different speculations."

She shook her head. "I think you're keeping something from me, John."

I looked up again, but this time she didn't look away.

I kept my mouth shut.

She sighed, but didn't press more into the subject. Instead, she looked to the door, just as it opened to reveal Nathaniel.

He looked back and forth between us, taking in our silent, speculative gazes. He kept his face stoic as his eyes fell and stayed on Rose. "King Jonathan wishes to speak with you, Rose." She nodded silently as she stood, me right behind her. She noticed my movement, and so did Nathan. "I'm sorry, John, but he has requested her presence only."

I slowly sat down, my brows furrowing. What was so important that I couldn't be there to hear?

Rose followed her father out, but as she got to the door, she looked back at me. "We're not done here, okay?"

I nodded, but she didn't seem convinced. She stood there for a few seconds more, before her father took her out of the room.

Rose's POV

Nathan lead me through the maze of halls until we made it to the Throne Room. 'King' Jonathan's eyes landed on me as we entered. He glanced around. "Leave." he ordered. Slowly, everyone in the room left, excluding Nathan.

Jonathan's gaze turned cold as he looked to Nathan. "That was an order, Nathaniel."

Nathan nodded. "I'm aware of that. But I'm not someone you can order around."

"You are while you're here, Nathaniel. Now leave us."

I looked to Nathan pleadingly. Even if I didn't fully trust him, I definitely didn't want to be here alone with Jonathan. He glanced at me before turning fully to Jonathan. "I don't see why I have to leave my daughter here alone with you."

Jonathan laughed, and it sent shivers of fear down my spine. "Come on, Nathan. Do you think I'm going to hurt her?"

"That's exactly what I think. Please don't be offended when I say you're not exactly trustworthy, John."