Chapter 10

Sophie’s POV

As soon as Rose was gone, Luke turned back and hugged me. “Thank you, Soph! Thank you so much!” he stepped back and looked back down the hall. “I can’t believe she said yes! She won’t regret this.” And with that, he started to head back down the hall.

I jogged to catch up to him. “I’ve never seen you this excited before.”

He had a huge, goofy smile on his face when he turned to me. “I’ve never had a reason to.”

I let Luke get a few feet ahead of me, considering I didn’t want to be seen with him when he was like this. But he calmed down some when we left the hallway. As we were crossing the room to go to the back, I saw Rose sitting at a table against the wall, trying to catch my attention. I slowed down, and Luke didn’t even notice.

I weaved through the tables until I got to her table, where I plopped down on the seat next to her. The people who were sitting across from her looked a little startled when I sat down, so I quickly introduced myself. “Hello, I’m Sophie Kale. I’m friends with Rose.”

The woman, who I assumed to be Rose’s mom, calmed down and introduced herself as Janice Daniel. I made a mental note of Rose’s last name. These people looked kind of familiar, and I wanted to know why. And even though his wife was relaxed, his eyes were narrowed. I just ignored him.

“Did you need something, Rose?” I whispered, turning back to her. She held up the piece of paper Luke gave her.

“I can’t read anything her wrote.” She glanced at her parents, and I saw her mother was talking to her father, and they were completely ignoring us.

I took the paper from her, laughing when I saw she was right. He must have been too excited. “You know, he really likes you. He’s extremely excited about tomorrow.” I told her, writing his number down neatly on the other side of the paper. “And also, the number at the bottom is mine.” I handed it back to her, and she took it with a smile of gratitude.

“He really does? Are you sure?” she asked, looking up hopefully.

I nodded, standing up. “He was practically jumping with joy when you left. Now, if you will excuse me, I need to get back to our table. We’re here with friends, and I don’t want to keep them waiting.”

Luke’s POV

I was seriously thinking about getting Sophie that mustang she was wanting. If it wasn’t for her, I wouldn’t have gotten the chance to talk to Rose. As I sat down, I looked around, but I couldn’t see Sophie. I could’ve sworn she was right behind me…

After a few minutes I finally spotted Sophie. She slid in the booth next to me, shaking her head. “Luke, you were too excited when you wrote your number down. She had me come over to her table to tell her what your number was. Oh, and I got her last name.”

My father, who had moved over here to sit next to my mother in front of us, looked up and smiled. “I’m guessing Luke’s going on a date with his mate soon?”

Caleb patted me on the back with a smile. “What’s this? Lukey’s found his special someone?” I shrugged his hand off, ignoring his comment.

Instead I turned to Sophie. “What’s Rose’s last name?”

I heard my mom whisper what a pretty name that was, but I kept my attention on Sophie. “It’s Daniel. Rose Daniel.”

Caleb and my parents froze, all of them looking up sharply. “Daniel?” my dad asked, looking around to see if anyone was listening.

Sophie and I shared the same confused look, and she nodded slowly. “Is there a problem?”

Father turned to me. “What does Rose look like?”

“Um, she had white, blonde hair with bright green eyes. She’s about 5’10 or 5’11. Pretty pale, too.” I waited and watched closely for a reaction, and I wasn’t disappointed. My mother paled while Caleb ran his hands through his hair, something he did every time he was upset.

But my father scowled, searching the other side of the restaurant. He seemed to have found what he was looking for, because his lips moved back slightly in a low growl. I moved to see what he was looking at, and I saw Rose with her head tilted to the side while her father and my father had a stare down.

Her eyes met mine, and she mouthed ‘What’s going on?’ I just shrugged, turning to Caleb. He was looking at Rose with a puzzled expression. “She really has grown.” he said quietly.

“What’s going on, Caleb?” I demanded, making him turn to me.

“Your girlfriend isn’t all she appears to be. Her father despises our pack, considering we have pretty complicated history. Long story short, his son is dead, werewolves and shifters aren’t allies and your girlfriend is the daughter of the strongest shifter we know of in North America.”