Chapter 9

Luke’s POV

Tonight we had to go to dinner with the neighboring pack. We had to do this every month, which was pretty annoying when everyone in the pack is arrogant, cocky bastards. Especially the women. They try to get my attention because I’m the soon-to-be alpha, but now all I could about was Rose. Hell, I didn’t even know her last name.

So here I was, sitting in a booth with Sophie on one side and my brother Caleb on the other. Caleb got his black hair from my mother, and had blue eyes identical to mine. But he was rather short at 6’0, while I was a good 6’6 or 6’7. I got my height from my father, along with the eyes.

As the waitress came around to take our order, she winked at me flirtatiously, but I wasn’t even paying attention. I stood up suddenly, having the lame excuse of going to the bathroom. Sophie knew something was up, however, because she excused herself also.

When we went down the long hallway leading to the bathroom, which was fortunately empty, Sophie stopped me. “What’s the matter Luke? You aren’t responding to anything anyone says to you, and then you just get up and leave?”

I stopped her by putting my hands on her shoulders. “She’s here, Sophie. I just went in the direction of her smell, and she’s in the girls’ bathroom.”

Sophie smiled brightly, rushing past me into the bathroom. A few minutes later I heard something hit the ground, and then Sophie was apologizing like crazy. She better not of hurt Rose.

When I was getting tired of standing there, I was about to walk away when the door opened, revealing the white blonde hair of Rose.

Rose’s POV

“Watch where you’re going!” I growled, jumping to my feet lightly. Gosh, I knew this was a small bathroom, but people didn’t need to push me down! I scowled, turning to the last girl I expected to see. I quickly lost the sour expression. “Sophie! What are you doing here?”

She kept apologizing, and she wouldn’t listen to my words of forgiveness. After a few minutes, I put my hands on her shoulders, making her look at me. “Sophie, it’s okay. It was an accident, and I forgive you.”

She smiled, removing my hands. “It’s strange; you guys are so alike.”

I tilted my head, my nose wrinkling the way it did every time I’m confused. “Who am I like?”

She seemed to snap out of the little faze she was in, smiling brightly. “You’ll see what I mean later. Now come on, there’s someone I know you’ll want to see.”

More confused now than I ever was, I just walked through the door without complaint when Sophie opened it for me. When I walked out, the first person I saw was Luke. He smiled, straightening his shirt. “Hey, Rose. It’s nice to see you here.”

I nodded, happy that he remembered my name. “Hello Luke. What are you doing outside the girls’ bathroom?”

He looked down, a small blush spreading across his cheeks. “I was waiting for Rose. I forgot where our table was, so I needed to ask her.” He looked back up at me, looking kind of sad. “So, you here with John?”

I ignored the little pang of pain at the mention of his name. I shook my head, and this time it was me who dropped their head. “John broke up with me. I’m here with my parents.”

I felt a hug from behind me, and Sophie whispered in my ear. “I’m so sorry, Rose.”

I heard a small growl, and I looked up in alarm. Luke was glaring at Sophie, and when she moved her arms, he wrapped his arms around me. Okay…

After a few seconds, I just relaxed in his embrace. He moved back, smiling at me. I couldn’t help but return it. He made me feel better, and right now I needed that. “You can join me and my family if you want.”

I shook my head, removing his arms, even though I didn’t want to leave them. “My parents are probably wondering what’s taking me so long.”

Luke took my hand, and I smiled at how desperate he looked. “Then let me take you to lunch tomorrow. Here’s my number.”

He took a sliver of paper from his pocket, hastily scribbling the digits on there. “Text or call, okay?”

I nodded. I passed him, taking my hand out of his. “Talk to you later, Luke.”

When I was at the end of the hall, I heard him whisper, “I’ll make you mine soon.”