Chapter 26

Luke stepped in front of me even more, almost completely blocking my sight of the man. The man glared at Luke, making Luke growl. “Who are you?” Luke demanded.

The man turned to me, and his eyes flashed. I gasped quietly. They were exactly like mine. “Do you not remember me, Rose?”

Luke glanced down at me, clearly confused. Well, that makes two of us. I looked to the man, shaking my head slightly.

He smiled and turned back to Luke. “My name is Nathaniel.” He bowed his head mockingly. As soon as he told us his name, memories of when I was younger crossed my mind. I shook my head again, stepping back. He smiled, looking to me once more. “I take it you remember me now?”

I looked up to Luke, who was looking at me expectantly. “He’s my father.” I whispered. If it wasn’t for his advanced hearing, he wouldn’t have known I said anything.

He stiffened. “Are you sure?”

I nodded. There was no doubt in my mind. Luke sighed before facing Nathan. “Why are you here?”

Nathan looked back to John, who answered quietly. “We’re here for Rose.”

Luke automatically blacked me from their view. “She’s staying here.”

One of the vampires behind them laughed. For some reason they haven’t come out of the trees yet. “You are speaking like you have a choice.”

John turned and glared at the vampire. “Hold your tongue, Joshua.” Joshua silently nodded.

Nathan ignored them. “Rose, you need to come with us.”

“Why?” I asked quietly.

Nathan’s eyes softened. “There are important issues we must discuss.”

I looked around, shrugging. “Why can’t we talk here?”

He shook his head. “That’s not possible. King Jonathan needs to be present, and I cannot explain it alone.”

“Who would help you explain?”

Before he could answer, Luke tugged my arm. “Rose, don’t even think about it. Remember what we talked about.” He looked back to Nathan, growling. “We already told you. Rose stays here.”

John cracked a smile as Nathan sighed. “Luke, she will return by the end of the night.”

John laughed. “This is not something to talk about so casually. If she doesn’t come willingly, she will be forced. The king has a growing interest in her, and he’ll demand her presence. I highly doubt she will be kept there for only one day.”

The guards around them nodded, silently agreeing with him. About five guards raised their weapons together. John glanced back to check on them, and, satisfied, he smiled at Luke. “I’m so sorry Luke, but she can come willingly, or we’ll force her to. Either way, she leaves with us.”