Chapter 18

After the little argument with William, Sophie took me up to her room. If I wasn’t with Sophie, I definitely would have gotten lost. But she was here, so we quickly came to a red door.

She ran in, dragging me along with her. I stopped as I looked around. There were clothes EVERYWHERE. In one corner of her massive room, there was a table full of make-up. Her walls were pink, as well as her king sized bed. She had a good sized window in the far wall, and it had one of those cushions underneath where you can sit to look out the window.

It was just as bad as Jen’s room. I honestly don’t know how you can enjoy being surrounded by all of that. Speaking of Jen, I really needed to call her. I turned to Sophie, taking my phone out.

“Um, can I make a quick call?” I asked quietly. She quickly nodded.

“Come on, I’ll show you my favorite spot to hang out. You can call from there.” Taking my hand once again, she walked out the room, through a couple hallways, and up a flight of stairs. She stopped outside the first door on the left.

I was imagining it as almost a replica of her room, but I was pleasantly surprised to see books everywhere. “There’s a terrace where you can make the call from.”

I nodded, smiling gratefully. I quietly opened the doors, and I was met with the cool night air. I gently closed the door behind me, dialing her number. She picked up on the third ring. “Hello?”

“Hey Jen. I have to ask you a quick question.” Her behavior earlier with Luke hadn’t slipped my notice, but I was wishing with everything I had that my guess was wrong.

“Sure, what do you need?”

How was I supposed to ask? I waited a few seconds before deciding to just be blunt. “Are you a vampire?”

She was silent for a while. Finally she replied, and it was so quiet I barely heard her. “It’s too early.”

“What do you mean, ‘it’s too early’?”

She sighed, sounding tired and frustrated. “I mean, you shouldn’t know about this yet. You can’t protect yourself yet.”

“I’ve already shifted, Jen.” I said quietly. Who else had been lying to me?

“What?! That’s not possible! You’re not of age yet. You need to stop shifting. You have to be 18 before you can shift safely.”

My birthday was in a few days. I didn’t have to wait that long.

But as I thought about it, I loved the release I got when I shifted. I might have just started shifting today, but I was already in love with it. And I told Jen just that. Of course, she blew up on me.

We argued like that for a few more minutes, before she hung up. Glaring at my phone, I turned it off. She would be calling when she had cooled down, and I wasn’t going to be dealing with that again tonight.

I stayed out on the terrace for a little while longer. I knew that if I went inside, Sophie probably wouldn’t let me drop the subject until I told her everything that had happened.

As I was standing on the terrace, I heard the door behind me open. Thinking it was Sophie, I didn’t turn. But I spun around as Luke spoke. “Sorry about my father earlier. You just caught him on a bad night.”

I turned back to the night. “I hope you know I didn’t do it on purpose.”

He walked forward until he was right next to me, out hands right next to each other on the rail. “I know, you just caught him on a bad night. He wasn’t very happy about the little encounter with your guardians earlier.”

After a few minutes of silence, I turned to the door. “I should probably head home now.”

Luke slid in front of me, bending down so that we were face-to-face. “Please don’t leave, Rose.” His breathe washed across my face, making me lose my train of thought.

After a few seconds I answered, dropping my eyes to his lips. “Well, I guess I could call and ask if it was alright.”

He smiled, and I felt myself smiling also. I looked up, and I was instantly captured by his eyes, which were shining with triumph. After a few more minutes of just staring into his intriguing eyes, I stepped back a little, blushing. “I’m sorry, this must be weird for you. I can assure you, I don’t usually act like this. It’s just that, well, I’ve never seen eyes that color before.”

“I could say the same.” he whispered, stepping forward so that we were once again less than an inch apart. I tried to step back once again, but I was stopped by the railing. He stepped away this time, frowning. “Are you scared?”

While my mind was saying yes, I shook my head slowly. “I’m just confused.” I whispered.

He opened his mouth to say something, but he was cut off by the door opening. Sophie popped her head out, looking only at Luke. “Have you told her yet? I still have to show her around the house.”

He shook his head, and I looked back and forth between them, confused. “What haven’t you told me?”

Sophie’s eyes widened, and she quickly retreated into the house. So I turned to Luke, who kept his eyes down cast. “Do you feel the pull between us?” He glanced up when I went silent. Suspicion taking the best of me, I nodded, wanting to see where this would go. He cracked a small smile, before dropping his gaze again. “Rose, you’re my mate.”