Chapter 7

Luke’s POV

After the encounter with the disgusting vampire, I quickly told Sophie about the situation. We hurried out of the mall. Through the pack link, I told my family that I’d be home soon, and that we needed to talk. We were home in 5 minutes.

Sophie and I quickly made our way to the den, where we had all our meetings. My mother and father were already there. I guess my brothers weren’t home. My father’s head snapped up when we entered. “There you are, Luke. Now, what was so urgent?”

I sat down, with Sophie sitting next to me. “I found my mate.”

My mother smiled and stood up. “That is wonderful! What’s her name? What does she look like?”

My father smiled at my mother’s questions. But when he turned to me, he dropped his smile. “Lily, wait a second. Luke, what is the matter?”

I looked down at the table, refusing to meet his eyes. “She’s human. And she had a boyfriend.”

He laughed, causing me to look up in alarm. “And why would those facts be a problem? The pull between mates is too strong to resist; even if one of them is human. And a human has no chance against a wolf.”

I shook my head and looked at Sophie, who nodded her head encouragingly. “Father, that’s the thing. He’s not human. She’s dating John Highlington. And they look pretty serious.”

At the mention of the vampire’s name, my father’s face grew serious. I looked over at my mother, and she had the same expression. I turned back to my father, who scratched his chin, a habit he had when he was thinking hard. “Well.” he said quietly. “That is a problem.”  After a few more minutes of thinking about it, he turned to me. “Does he know she’s your mate?”

I shook my head. Sophie looked back and forth between us, confused. “Why does it matter if he knows or not?” she asked, tilting her head.

Father turned back to her. “He would have a huge advantage over us if he knew he had the soon-to-be alpha’s mate. Let’s just pray he doesn’t find out.”

Rose’s POV

John wrapped his arms around me as we sat down on the couch. He pulled me closer as a new movie started, but we weren’t even paying attention. We kept our eyes on each other. John still looked kind of shocked from when I told him I loved him. We had stayed in my room for half an hour, not really doing anything.

When it was getting closer to the time my parents would be getting home, we went down to the living room. My parents haven’t really met John yet. Well, they’ve talked a few times, but now that we were serious, my parents would want to have a real conversation with him, so I didn’t want to be found in my room, because I knew my parents would jump to conclusions; especially my mom.

Finally I broke the silence. “So are there others? I mean, people around us that aren’t entirely… human.”

John nodded slowly. “There are shifters. There are quite a few of them, but it’s nearly impossible to tell who is or who isn’t. Also, every shifter has a different animal.”

“So, are there only three types of people? Vampires, shifters, and humans?” I asked, tilting my head.

John’s face turned serious. “No, there’s one more group. They’re the werewolves. Like shifters, they can change whenever they please. But werewolves are heartless animals when they shift, but personally, I don’t think they’re very admirable in human form either. Please Rose, promise me you won’t go near any weres.”

Without hesitation I nodded. If John didn’t like them, I probably wouldn’t think they were tolerable either. “Of course.”

John let out a sigh of relief. “Thank you. Now, any more questions?”

I leaned back against the couch, looking at him cautiously before I asked. “What all can vampires do to humans?”

John moved a hair that was in my face, taking his time with putting it behind my ear. When his eyes met mine, I could tell he was wondering if he should tell me or not. Finally he sighed, looking down. “We can make humans do everything we order them to do. They have no choice; they have to listen to us. It’s a total subconscious reaction. But it doesn’t work with shifters or werewolves. Although, shifters are mesmerized by our appearance. But they snap out of it after a few minutes, while humans last longer.  Werewolves on the other hand are immune to us.”

I nodded, turning back to the movie. After a few minutes, John kissed my forehead and stood up. I groaned, looking up at him. “My parents are home?” I asked, hoping that I was wrong. I didn’t want John to leave.

He laughed and kissed me. “They’re three miles away. I’m sorry. I have to leave. I just can’t meet them.  But Rose, before I leave, you need to make a decision. I want you to leave me. I don’t want to put you in danger, which will definitely happen if you stay with me. I’ll give you a week to decide. I have to go away, so I won’t be able to see you anyway. Rose, while I’m gone, I want you to meet someone. Promise me you’ll try?”

I didn’t respond. So he was breaking up with me? When I voiced my suspicion, he nodded slowly. “But John, I love you.”

He kissed my forehead. “And I you. That is why I am leaving. I need to protect you. Goodbye Rose. I know you’ll find someone better than me.” And with that, he was gone. It was like he was never there. I let a single tear fall before I ran to my room. What was I supposed to do now?