Chapter 4

"Are you sure this would be the right thing to do?" I asked to no one in particular. I asked Yiu. There was no response. I turned to glance at Meredith but she only huddled deeper into herself curved into a ball as she was on the stairs.

It had been a month of inactivity since William last dropped by. I was tired. And I was dead bored. I pushed away the clutter of potions and cauldron scattered around where I sat and rose onto my feet. I was in need of some materials. I could use my powers and simply conjour what I needed. Only I didn't know how. Mother and her predecessors had all blatantly expelled their capabilities stretching their abilities with total disregard to the impact on their surroundings.

I had to learn to master my capabilities in a more refined and controlled way. There was no way I would be causing the next global catastrophe simply because I misspelled a curse.

No I had to go about it the right way and to do that I had need of ingredients. I glanced about  the mess that was my library cum spelling lab and waved away the huge tomes filled with derelicts in a language as ancient as time itself. I have been spending my time in seclusion well. Having gathered my belongings from mother and hussled the use of her library so that the books I wished magically appeared to me in my own library, I had set about harnesses the only thing I was truly lacking ... knowledge.

But I needed materials to put what I have discovered into use. For that I will have to step outside these walls. I have my physical trainings garnered from my time with Fin and my new empowered strength to see me safe. And I could always use raw power to blast my way out of any problems I would encounter. So those were not what made me hesitate.

What made me think twice was those damn three witches. Those Jezebels whom I would have to face again. Admittedly its been a long time since I last encountered them but time has not made the heart any fonder of those bitches.

While I was not afraid of them, I was also not happy to see them. I could still clearly recall how they fawned over Fin as if an angel would ever stoop so low to get down and dirty with the likes of them.

I flicked a hand out and sent the assorted flowers back into their jar. The rabbit feet and the empty snail kernels all got shoved hap hazardly into yet another jar. I have been working on several different experiments at a time. One of which was meant to be a form of sustenance. Something that would lessen my reliance on Meredith. Something that would hopefully make me dependent on nothing but the hour was late now. And while I did not sleep I was still too exhausted from my mental exertions. I have been trying without success to teleport what I needed from the shop I intended to visit on the morrow.

I tidied up as best I could then simply rose to my feet. I would only be back at it at first light till I was ready to head on out for supplies. I understood now why mother bothered with her endless lackeys. It made sense to use her minions for errands. I couldn't send Meredith for she had no solid form but I could give her the ability to temporarily solidify. Long enough for her to run my errands at least.

The escape from this prison would no doubt do her wonders. I stared at her pityingly for a moment before turning to use my magical vision and peruse mother's library. I was sure there was a book there somewhere that had the spell I needed. The books were all covered in dust. Mother no longer had a use for them. They were only elementary guides mostly used by the average witch. Mother was beyond such paltry capabilities. As was I. But I preferred to start small and learn as I grow.

Shifting through the titles I realised I would require many varied supplies for my experiments. I decided to do away with making a list simply because I had no coin of my own to purchase.

Mother's blessings were no more since I have not been sufficiently corrupted to cave in to her demands. I knew she would bide her time. Waiting patiently and guardedly until I came to her on my own. My soul sufficiently beyond redemption and cravings out of bound. Then I would turn to mother and her hell and serve her in favour of making my home with her.

But all that was not yet on the horizon. I lived in hope that it will never eventuate. Turning away from the hopeless temptations that was mother's library I decided abruptly on another course of survival.

I would offer my services for coin and supplies. I would have a contract with the shop. Turning away from my borrowed library I left for my chambers. I would lie on my bed and take comfort in my feather and maybe even take a peek at Michael before I went shopping at first light.