Chapter 4

Gabe was silent for a moment, trying to come up with a good reason for her not to kill him.  He didn’t know anything that would be justifiable of not having his brains displayed as art on the white tile floor.

            “Five seconds.” She snarled pulling the hammer of the gun back.  He heard it click into place and closed his eyes.  Suddenly all the pain was gone and the gun fell to the ground.  Trinity was franticly pushing back along the floor.  Her breathing was accelerated and she was shaking like a whipped dog.

            “Oh my god, oh my god.” She gasped.

            “Trinity?” Gabe stood up and walked towards her. “Trinity, are you alright?”

            He knelt down in front of her and reached his hand out but didn’t touch her shoulder.  His hand hesitated for a moment before he took the chance. Her head snapped up and her muscles became stiff.

            “Let go of me,” she snarled.  Gabe instantly removed his hand.

            “It’s useless Mr. Richards, she can’t see you.  I am in complete control of her memory.  Anything she remembers, I allow her to.  I can make it so she doesn’t remember you.” The man began laughing.

            “Who are you?” Trinity asked terrified while pushing further away from him.

            “I can make it so she thinks she is trapped in a Russian torture facility in Siberia.” The man sneered.

            “You’ll never break me,” she hissed.

            “I can make it so she is a frantic ten year old on the streets.” The man laughed.

            “Help me, please help me,” she whimpered.  Gabe stood up and looked around.

            “I will find you and I will kill you,” Gabe seethed drawing his pistol.

            “Rules of the Testing Grounds.  The collar around Trinity’s neck emits a painful electric shock and it would be wise to remember that.  You go anywhere I don’t want you to,” the man changed the subject and Trinity cried out.  Gabe looked down at her and she was carefully picking herself up.  The lights on her collar changing from red to green.

            “If you attempt to contact anybody outside,” he continued.

            The lights flashed red again and Trinity collapsed again, her cry of pain echoing down the empty hallway.  She was left as a twitching prone figure on the floor.  Gabe knelt down next to her and put his gun away.  He gently picked her shoulders up and she curled in towards his chest.  The lights faded to green again and she was left shaking in terror.

            “If you don’t take part in and play my games,” he snickered joyously.

            Trinity began convulsing in Gabe’s arms, her eyes rolled back in her skull and her lips parted in a soundless scream.  The lights were pulsing red.  When she stopped convulsing, her breaths were short and shallow gasps.  She was clutching Gabe’s wrist with white knuckles.  Gabe held her close to his chest in a useless attempt to protect her from the collar around her neck.

            “If you attempt to remove the collar, I will kill Trinity.  If you are left in the Testing Grounds after forty eight hours have passed, I will send the Exterminators after you.  Understand that you can still escape while being hunted by the Exterminators; however it is grows exponentially hard with every passing hour.  So, let’s play.  Your time starts now.”