Chapter 2

She ran away from the man.  She could hear him running after her.  She pushed threw another door into a hallway and ran down it.  Her heart pounded in her chest.

            “Stop!  I am not going to hurt you!  Please!  Stop running!” he screamed at her.

            “Leave me alone!” she cried and tripped.  She hit the ground and slid for a few feet.  Trying to scramble up, he grabbed her and pulled her back. “Let go of me!”

            Thrashing around, he pulled a scanner off his belt.  He held her to the ground and forced her left hand flat against the ground.   She continued to struggle against him, sobbing.  He grew frustrated as she continued to jerk underneath him.  Eventually, he released her wrist and pinned her head to the ground.  He pinned her arm with his knee and she couldn’t move before growling through clenched teeth. “Stop resisting.”

            She whimpered in terror as he put the scanner to her wrist and watched the read out.  The scanner ran the five digit code on her wrist run through the system and when it got a reading he released her head and wrist.  She squirmed out from under him and ran at the door at the end of the hall.  It was locked.  She tried to rip it open but it didn’t budge.  As the scanner continued to process her code, she sat in the corner drawing her knees into her chest.

            When it settled on her, the man did a double take.  Her name was Trinity Vega and she was an international thief and for-hire spy.  She had been convicted on espionage, assault, assassination, breaking and entering and felony theft.  She was a hard ass, emotionless, killer and here she was sitting in the corner, sobbing in terror.

            “Trinity,” he put the scanner back.  She didn’t look at him.  He took a step towards her. “Hey, listen, my name is Gabe.  Okay?  My name is Gabe.  Okay.  Your name is Trinity, Trinity Vega.”

            “Please don’t hurt me,” she mumbled.

            “I won’t hurt you.  I am not going to hurt you.  Does the name Trinity sound familiar?” Gabe asked taking another step towards her.  She shrank into an even tighter ball. “What do you remember?”

            “Waking up in a dark room alone.” She said with her voice shaking.

            “No, before that?  What do you remember from before waking up in the dark room?” Gabe prompted.

            “Nothing,” Trinity cried lifting her head.

            “You don’t remember anything?  Nothing?” he asked shocked.  She shook her head and he walked over to her.  Squatting down in front of her, she cowered in fear. “Okay, Trinity, I think we got off on a bad start.  How about we start over?  My name is Gabe, I won’t hurt you anymore.”

            She gave a small smile but didn’t respond.  Gabe held his hand out and she looked at it for a moment.  Trinity didn’t know whether to take the gloved hand or not.  After looking at it for a few seconds more.  She reached out and took it.  Gabe pulled her to her feet and she crossed her arms over her chest and looked around.

            “Why am I in a prison?” she asked. “Where is everyone?”

            Gabe didn’t know how she would react to the answer of the first question. “Trinity, you are in a prison because of what happened before you woke up in that room.  You did some very bad things and people got hurt.  As for where everyone is, I dunno, I just don’t know...”