Chapter 16: Secret in the Canyon

The entire populace of Meilflour stared, slack-jawed. Far off, many miles away, they could easily make out a tower of some sort. It had to be of an incredible size for it to still be visible despite the distance.

"Ha.. ha.. ha." Shadow's laugh was short, filled with disbelief. He shared a look with his sister. "...You don't think?"

Lunette sighed and shook her head. "I can almost bet it is him."

"Heeh?" Syel interrupted. "Who're we talking about?"

She warily eyed the elf. There was not much time however. If it was really Kashi who was responsible for the tower rising, then even more reason for haste. "Never mind that. You said you were interested in joining our quest?"

"Yeah... So? You offering?"

Lunette held out her hand. "My name is Lunette Falsetto. This is my brother Shadow, and our merchant, Miote."

Syel firmly grabbed the outstretched hand. "Name's Syel. The broad's Prince."

Shoko smacked him upside the head. "My apologies for his rudeness. Yes, we would be overjoyed if you added us to your party."

Lunette chuckled. "It is fine. I understand. Here, I just sent the invitation."

Syel and Shoko accepted the quest. They were pleased to see it was a high level quest. The rewards should be great.

Miote brought the horses around. "Well then, I suppose we better get a move on."

The party mounted their horses and rode off toward the designated location.

***

Couple hours Earlier,

Suvron's Pass

Kashi opened his eyes.  Not that it made a difference. Darkness remained constant whether he was asleep or awake. 

"You're finally awake," Kira called. She kept watch a few feet from where he lay.

"How long was I asleep?"

"Three hours give or take." 

It had been three or so days since their fall. After the initial battle, they found that enemies kept attacking them from the same direction at regular intervals. Following this, they planned their sleep cycles around ambushes, each taking turns to watch guard as the other heals.

If he had gotten three hours of sleep, then the next ambush should occur very soon. He appreciated the battles. With each one, he got more real battle experience for <<Mind's Eye>>. He was now comfortable enough to fight with it, but now he had to level it to improve its range and accuracy.

Despite this success, something bothered him heavily. 

Kira suddenly tensed. Hear ears fell back as she fixed a low growl towards their back.

Kashi equipped his bow and trained it at the direction she growled at. Unlike her sense of smell, he relied on sound to work in the darkness."What's coming?"

"Behind us. I smell a single being. But this bloodlust... I cannot discern its original smell."

Kashi shut his eyes, and focused his all on the sound ahead of him. 

Clack-clack... clack-clack.

Kira had taught him how to discern build and make from sound alone. The frequency suggested a bi-pedal being. It was of considerable size judging by the force its feet hit the earth. Either that or it carried something. He felt Kira rein in her bloodlust and discerned it was not a foe. Tch. He still had ways to go. She had already gathered enough information, and he was still struggling with sound.