Chapter 29: Expansion

Rine's Bar,

Meilfour.

Rine's Bar was awash with joyous cries as violins played an energetic Celtic tune. The citizens of Meilfour laughed and cried as they downed one drink after another, bolstered by the songs of Lunette and her entourage.

The fever in the building was contagious, and even Hektor could not resist the festivities. He downed several jugs of Merkil Mead with his left hand while he took on two wolf-men in an arm-wrestling with his right. "Yer tink ya gat wat i' takes ta bea' da future god of war!?" In his drunken state, his accent which he working to mask slipped out, but he was too drunk to care. "oOH!" With a loud grunt, he crashed both fists the table, smashing it beneath them. He laughed as another table was placed before him. "Who's next?"

Syel watched from across the room as men and women lined up to challenge the warrior. He swiped a bottle from a passing drunk and took a sip of its contents, wincing as it scorched his throat. "Damn, that's some strong alcohol." He raised it to his lips, only to have it similarly swiped from his hands.

"You sure you can hold your drink?" Shoko teased. "Wouldn't want you passing out now, would we?"

The elf attempted to snag his drink, but she held it just out of reach. "Pompous princess like you, I can definitely hold better than, at the very least."

"Is that so?" Shoko tilted her head back and downed the bottle in one gulp. She wiped her mouth as she placed the empty bottle on a table, then raised a challenging brow at him.

"Oh, you are so o-" Syel stopped, having sensed the presence of the one he had been waiting for. "... He's here."

Shoko turned to face the entrance just as the tavern door swung open.

The room fell deathly silent as the fabled dark elf and his demon wolf stepped into the establishment. Men and women swallowed hard as they parted, clearing a path to the bar.

Kashi walked to the counter, his gait measured. He signalled Muko who served him with a pitcher of his Yarcon Juice. Aware of the tensed atmosphere behind him, he raised the pitcher high as he turned around. He swallowed a deep breath then cheered at the top of his voice, "Drink Yourselves Dead! Today, All Drinks Are On Me!"

"OOOOO!" The bar erupted once more in cheers as the patrons raised their glasses high and resumed their celebrations.

Kashi finished his drink then placed a pouch of gold coins on the counter. "Here. This should cover everything."

Muko shook his head. "No, I cannot accept this. You've done so much for us already. Consider this on the house."

"I wasn't asking," Kashi maintained. "You need this for what is to come."

"You best accept," Syel advised as he hooked his arm around Kashi's neck. "He looks the stubborn type."

Muko relented, and reluctantly accepted the pouch. "What is coming?"

"Yeah, Kash," Syel urged. "What're you planning? Where'd you go after you gave us the slip back at Tahos?"

"Is there somewhere private we can talk?" Kashi asked pointedly at Muko.

Syel raised a brow. "Hey, you're not thinking of ignoring me are you? Or you gonna pretend you don't know who I really am."

"You are you." Kashi turned to Syel, eyes cold as he shrugged of his arm. "However, I do not know you well enough to trust you. Your relationship with Suzuki is of little importance."

"Ouch." Syel feigned a chest pain as he stepped back. His lips curled a snide grin as he proposed, "Well, how's about I gain your trust?"

"How do you suppose to do that?"