Chapter 3: Offline

The days raced by at Norcha, as its inhabitants prepared for the upcoming battle. The recruits ran drills to brush up on the skills most had forgotten after the war. The summoned spent the majority of their time in the swamps leveling up on the local monsters. Meanwhile, the delf could be seen taking frequent travels down the river with different types of spears. When not traveling, he either cooked for them, practiced his smithery, meditated or practiced his Kata. Very rarely did he join the summoned in their raids.

As per Leila's orders, the camp had split into six teams, each with a clear purpose. The appointed leaders for each team were: Kashi; Leila; Iason; Jero; Paris; with Narkis and Alex sharing the final team. As the days passed by, each man reflected on their lives, muttering prayers to Aerith for guidance and Gera for strength.

On the tenth day, a ship brought with it the news they had been waiting for. Absalon's army had started the march to Riven. The journey would take five days to complete. Absalon would definitely rest his army for a day, which meant a total of six days for their deadline.

On Leila's behest, Kashi called a halt to the training. He instructed each man to spend the remaining days as they saw fit, but be ready on the appointed day. To his surprise, no one left. They chose instead to stay in the fort, practicing, albeit much less than usual.

Leila watched the recruits, impressed by their valor. They might just pull this off..

***

Adachi Ayumi opened her eyes, and raised her hand. I'm back here, huh?

She removed the Virtual Gear and placed it on her bed as she stood up. Yawning, she shuffled over to her bathroom. Several minutes later, she emerged from her room dressed in her school's uniform, the picture of perfection.

Her family had a thing for traditionalism. As a result, she lived in a huge compound that resembled the Edo period homes, complete with tatamis, sliding doors and wooden floorboards. 

She brushed her overly long hair over her shoulder as she walked across the tatami to her father's meditation room. She knelt down, and knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" her father's voice called from within.

"Ayumi, father."

"Open."

She slid the door open, and bowed to the floor. "Good morning, father."

His back was to her as he too sat on his knees, practicing his excellent calligraphy. "Ayumi." As always, his voice carried no emotion. "You spent the entire weekend inside that game of yours. I permitted you to indulge because you promised it enriched your archery. You said nothing about wasting your life away in there."

"My apologies father. I assure you, my archery has significantly improved."

"Hmph. There will be a competition in two weeks. You will be excellent." His words were a statement, but his tone and the subsequent pause suggested otherwise.

"I will not bring shame to the Adachi name."

"Good. You can leave."

"Thank you father," Adachi said, and slid the door shut. Walking past bowing servants, she exited the building to the black sedan parked in the drive way. A young man in a black tailor made suit stood by the door, silk black hair nestled on his shoulders.

"Blessed morning, ojousama," Hayato, her butler greeted, as he opened the rear door. "A fine morning wouldn't you say?"

"I hate Mondays," Adachi muttered as she slid into the seat.

He laughed as he shut the door. "Don't let your father hear you say that. It'll be my neck on the line" He entered the driver's seat and started the vehicle.