Chapter 5: Battle for Riven (Part 2)

Darkness loomed over Riven, as torrid winds and punishing rain slammed against the city. The howls of the wind made it impossible to hear beyond shouts. The blinding rain reduced visibility to less than an arm away. 

Due to the unfavorable conditions, both armies had retreated to their camps, where the injured were treated, and the dead mourned. With the gales, an attack on the walls would be suicidal. Both armies decided to wait the storm; the interim would allow them to prepare for a second round.

The only problem was in the Kertan camp. The siege towers had only worked so well because of the element of surprise. Given time, the lizards would definitely form a counter. Or, at the very least, be much more prepared for a wall battle than the last time. While this fact infuriated Absalon, there was nothing he or anyone else could do to change the weather. Hopefully, the players did not lose their spine when the time came.

***

Shadows ran across the southernmost walk-wall, their footsteps drowned out by the howling wind. Their leader, a dark elf held up a closed fist, and they stopped. Despite the rain, they could make out what seemed to be a tower of some sort in front of them, lit up by the magelights around it. 

Kashi took out his bow and nocked his arrow as he slowly edged his way towards the bastion. Beside him, Kira's eyes morphed to navy blue, further erasing her presence. Shadow and Craig were the only other players in his group.  Five of the volunteers followed closely behind the four, each unsheathing their weapon.

So far, they'd met no resistance, but that was only because they were still on the final southern wall. Once they crossed the bastion, they would shift to the eastern wall. From there, it was a straight run across two bastions to reach the north wall. These walls would be manned. Especially after the next bastion. Well, it was easiest to see them as checkpoints on their quest.

Kashi pulled his hood over his head, and covered his nose and mouth with his scarf as he pressed against the wall beside the door. Shadow did the same at the adjacent wall, while Kira walked up to the door. 

She sniffed through the bottom cracks and listened for sound from the interior. Satisfied, she stepped back. "Seven of them: Three active, and two asleep on the ground floor, one ascending the stairs, and one at the top."

Kashi nodded. He gave instructions to Shadow and Kira, as he awaited her signal.

Now!

Kashi burst the door open as the trio stormed into the room. The farthest drakul stood by a fireplace warming its fingers. The other stood by the exit door to their left. The closest was right in front of them with its back to the invaders.

The drakul registered the intruders but barely had time to let out a scream as Kashi riddled the farthest with arrows.

Shadow phased above the second and slit its throat, while Kira slammed into the closest, knocking it to the ground. She ripped its throat out before it had a chance to struggle.

The delf made sure the sleeping drakul never woke again as he stabbed their hearts with his arrows. 

Once their demise had been confirmed, the trio quickly ascended the stairs, taking them two at a time. None of their feet made any sound. Shadow and Kira had increased stealth because of their classes and race respectively. 

Kashi on the other hand, had nearly maxed out the 《Silent Step》 skill. He made sure to activate it every chance he got, even outside combat to increase its level.

He came to a halt in front of a wooden door. Pushing it open, he continued up a flight of stairs, only slowing down when rain began to enter the staircase.