Chapter 15: Merriheim

???

Somewhere in Eastern Europe.

"...It's out of my hands Sergeant. Get it done."

First Seargent Jarod Carter set the phone on its receiver. He reclined on his chair, releasing a huge sigh of exasperation. He picked a cigar from atop his desk, lit it, then drew a long calming puff. He picked up a binder titled 'United Front'. This was HQ's newest plan? Those bureaucrats had far too much time on their hands.

Meh, he wasn't paid to think too much. He pressed the intercom connected to his secretary's office. "Call up Private Dayle. Specialist Raines and Private Yount of Blitz."

"Yes, sir."

Five minutes later a knock on his door drew Carter from his files. "Come in." Three young soldiers in full uniform walked into the office and assumed a salute. "At ease."

"Private Dayle Butcher reporting, sir. Was told you have a message for us?" The oldest, Dayle said.

"Yes. HQ called. They want you three to participate in a new operation."

"Where will we be headed sir?"

Carter looked up. "New York. You will be returning to New York."

Dayle's eyes narrowed, confusion apparent in his frown. "New York? Why would you be sending the best infiltration unit you have to New York?"

The Seargent sighed. He hated to admit it but the lad was right. Ever since the unit was formed, they'd had a success rate of 98%, the highest in any agency. If the lad was bewildered by the relocation, wait till he heard their mission. "'Are you familiar with United Front?"

"Which one? The union or the game?"

"The game."

"United Front," Raines flicked her dark-brown hair behind ears as she answered. "A sci-fi schooter developed by Genaco for its western audience. Its addictive nature has sparked a global debate as to the verity of such games."

Carter's brows rose. "You play?"

"God no," she scoffed. "My younger brother living in the states loves games." 

The sergeant nodded, satisfied by her answer. "And you, Private Yount?"

At eighteen years of age, the white haired teen was the youngest of the squad. His small stature and natural 'baby face' mirrored his shy personality. He panicked at the sudden attention and turned to Dayle for help. 

Dayle patted his shoulder and nodded his encouragement.

"N-no sir," Yount finally managed. "My parents made sure I stayed away from pointless distractions."

"I see," Carter murmured. He pointed to dossiers on his desk which they picked up. "Familiarize yourself with the briefing. You leave at 1700 hours."

Dayle frowned as he purveyed the document. "Wait.. this makes no sense. It says we're going to play this game?"

Carter nodded, a tinge of humor in his eyes. "I had the exact same reaction."

***

Meilfour 

"Welcome to Meilfour, the birthplace and graveyard of art," greeted a disheveled old man in a very miserable tone. His dead eyes scanned the newest arrivals. Two humans, a golden chesch and four horses, one of which was darker than night. The chesch was dressed rather admirably and had several rucksacks on his horse. They were rich, but visibly fatigued after crossing the burning desert. They would not last long.