Chapter 22: Chaotic Dungeon

36 Hours Later,

Lunette rested her head against the temple's doors as she watched the early morning moon with distracted interest. Soon the sun would come and take its place, for it did not belong in the morning sky. Still, she found it oddly beautiful, maybe because it reminded her of herself.

Her name was called and she shook her head to clear all unwanted thoughts and doubts. She had practiced for almost 48 hours non-stop, and it was time to see if all that work bore any fruit. She had managed to raise the new skills to the intermediate level, though her actual Performer class had only gained a level. Probably because of a lack of ingenuity. She had only been able to create one more original piece since then, and even that had been a Fine Piece.

She met up with the others at the grand organ.

"Are you ready?" Iggy asked.

"Yeah," she replied. "Whenever you are."

Iggy nodded. "The actual entrance to the dungeon is at a mine in the village, but the entire thing's crawling with monsters." He started playing a curious tune on the organ. "Diegel and I found this entrance by chance while following one of the Order's agents." The tune ended abruptly. Soon after the floor shook with the rumblings of old gears. "This way."

He led them beyond the altar to a secret trapdoor that had opened up behind. A spiraling flight of stairs descended into darkness, the air from beneath cold and moist.

"Great, another underground cavern," Syel cursed. "What happened to towers and prisons?" He released Will o' the Wisp to light their path.

Iggy nodded his appreciation as he took the lead as they ventured down the steps.

Diegel dragged Lunette aside before she could enter the trap door. "Oi, you, you're strong right?"

Lunette frowned in confusion. "I suppose you could say so? Why do you ask?"

"Take this." He took out a book from his inventory and handed it to her.

"What is it?"

"J'st take it."

Lunette accepted the book. It was dark violet, with chains wrapped menacingly around it. Purple smoke belched from its pages. There was something menacing and dark about it.

Do you want to learn this skill?

She chose yes. The book disappeared as a status window appeared, explaining the contents of the skill she'd just learned. Her eyes widened in shock as she read and understood what she'd just learned. "W-Why did you give this to me?"

Diegel shrugged. "Had to. Yer da strongest singa I met yet."

Lunette grimaced. It took a few seconds but she calmed herself. "Thank you. You're right. This might be useful in the future. Just don't tell my brother you gave it to me."

With those words, she turned around and joined the others down the stairs, with Diegel bringing up the rear.

The walls were wet with moss and more than once, different members of the party had to stifle their frightened surprise as slimy beings slithered across their hands plased on the wall for support. They reached the end after about five minutes. The stairs landed at a door with a minotaur carved onto its face. Iggy placed his hand on the door.

"What is it our lord bringeth?" a disfigured voice echoed from inside the door.

Iggy sang out precise notes which ended with a long drawn out sooo...

"And it shall be as it were."

The door grated on its hinges as it grumbled open. Iggy took a magelight that hung by the gate. "This entire area is an abandoned mine. There are too many interlocking roads that it can seem like a maze to first-timers. Stick close so you don't get lost."