Chapter 24: Negotiations Successful

A/N:  It has come to my attention that wattpad has an error with skills displayed within those arrow brackets. This is a problem mainly for the mobile readers. Until I find a true solution, I'll be testing out various new ways to represent skills. Please bear with me.

*************************************************************************

2 Days Earlier,

Rine's Bar,

Meilfour.

The sun had fallen, and weary citizens of Meilflour had flocked to the bar to drown their sorrows in hard, bitter, alcohol. A golden chesh sat at the counter listening to the conversations and watching them out the corners of his eyes.

Miote took a sip from the mug he held in his hand. He scrunched his nose and smacked his lips at the horrible taste. The foul drink almost made him miss the stale bread he ate at level 1. Nothing he could do about it though. It was either that or suffer negative stat effects from hunger. Though the drink might kill him regardless. He twirled the drink, watching idly as the murky liquid in the cup. A man burst into the bar screaming at the top of his lungs, almost causing the chesh to drop his drink in fright.

The man grabbed a nearby mug and downed its contents in a jiff as he tried to collect his thoughts.

"Spit it out man! What's the matter?" an elf shouted, having lost his patience.

The messenger coughed and panted as he managed  to squeeze out."Rhi- ha- Rhinos! War Rhinos! The Order's coming!"

The bar was deserted in mere seconds.

Miote marvelled at the organized way in which the residents panicked. Within mere minutes, they had all returned to their respective windows and locked their doors and windows. It was like a scene from old wild west movies. He could swear he even saw a bramble branch roll past.

Miote downed the contents of his mug in one swift gulp. He paid the barkeep and made his way to the door.

"I wouldn't do that," the barkeep advised. "You seem like a nice quiet guy. You don't want to get caught up with the Order."

"Thanks for the advice," Miote said. "But why is it only your establishment is still open?"

"Soldiers need a place to stock up on food and water. Unfortunately, I'm the only functioning bar in this town. If I close, the entire town would be in trouble."

"Is that so?" Miote flashed an appreciative smile. "Well then, I'd like to see these Order members for myself."

"Your funeral."

"Not today," the merchant said as he placed two silver coins on the counter. He exited the bar, intrigued by what could cause so much fear.

***

Zaram led her charges in Meilflour, her skin flushed from embarrassment and rage. Her men, though conscious were bound and plopped on the Rhinos like pieces of luggage. Meanwhile, her captor had been asleep ever since they began their journey. The dark elf clearly did not view her as a threat. That or he trusted the demon beast that guarded him that much. For the sake of her pride, she preferred to believe the latter.

She brought the Rhinos to a halt in front of Rine's Bar. "We're here."

"Finally!" Hektor jumped off the mount and stretched, clearly relieved the journey had come to an end. "Couldn't feel my ass for a while there."

Kira swiped at her companion and he shot up, holding his face in pain.

Kashi massaged his face as he glared at her. "Can't you be more cute and wake me with a lick or something?"