Chapter 11

****Devin’s POV****

“Devin follow me, I wanna try something with you that I learned in treatment” I reluctantly get up, and am led into Demi’s room, and am forced to stand in front of the mirror. In order to avoid looking at myself I quickly clamp my eyes shut. “Devin, open your eyes and look into it and tell me what you see.” I take a deep breath and slowly open my eyes.

The sight of me immediately makes me wanna cry, to see my thighs the size of basketballs, the rolls of fat down the side of my body, my round face that looks like a balloon. It’s all too much.

Before I knew it Demi’s arms were wrapped around me. “Don’t cry,” She says soothingly, as she wipes the tears that were streaming down my face. Demi wraps her hands around my waist and they nearly can touch. “Your waist is so tiny.” She pulls up my shirt and points to my ribs that are jutting out. “Your ribs and collarbone are sticking out Devin; they don’t stick out on me do they?” She does the same to herself and I can’t see her ribs. Not trusting myself to speak I slowly shake my head.

By now, she turns me around, looking me in the eyes and says, “What you see, it’s just an illusion. You are so insanely skinny, and doing what you’re doing will eventually kill you. Devin you are slowly dying and you have to stop, or else you will die soon.” While I could tell those words were painful for her to say, It doesn’t change the fact that I still look like an ugly whale. I couldn’t care. I was going to be skinny, and nothing was going to stop me. Not Reed, not my family, definitely not Demi, not even myself. I don’t care as long as I become skinny.

“Devin, I know you care, I know there’s a part of you that wants to get better. I know you will get through this. I know that it may seem like you’re in this never-ending tunnel of pain and sadness, and numbness, but I promise you it does end, and you will get through this, because I did, and I’m living proof that there’s light at the end of the tunnel. I’m going to guide you through this tunnel until you see the light. I’m not going to let you go through this alone. Not like I had to.” She hugs me tightly, and I return the hug.

“How’d you-”

“You were thinking out loud”

Demi turns me around and leads me back to my room. “I say we do something fun. How ‘bout bowling?”

Funny thing about Demi is she always knows how to cheer me up. A couple of games at the alley will always change my mood. I hate calling it an alley. To me, it’s a home.

She calls the alley to shut it down, so it will be just us. I missed “us time”, this is one of the things I’ve missed the most when she’s gone. I’m glad that we can pick up where we left off.

I load my arsenal of four bowling balls into Demi’s car. “Whoa there, why do you have so many?” I let a chuckle out. This is the first question everyone asks me. “Cause I need them.” I could still tell she’s puzzled but she sends a question anyways. “How can you possibly need four?” This is an automatic response as I’ve been asked this same question hundreds of times. “On each alley there’s oil, and there is different oil patterns, one ball may work on one pattern, but not on the other. Therefore, I need different types of balls.” She lets out a chuckle and just points and says “get in the car.”

We drive to the alley, nearly running over a dog, a cat, and an old lady. “That was successful.” I look at her and say “how the fuck did you manage to get your license?”

“The perks of being a worldwide superstar” she says while flipping her hair.

“Whatever you say Demetria.” I chuckle as I use her full name.