Chapter 10- Part 1

****Devin’s POV****

“Devin, we need to talk.” Those are the words that I have been terrified of hearing for the past few years. Demi signals for me to sit next to her on my bed.

    In hopes of avoiding the talk I turn around and head for the door. Demi instantly knows what I am doing, and instead of getting up to restrain me, which I thought she would do, all she says is "Sit down, it's just a talk." In a sense she's right, all it is, is just a talk. I knew Demi could see my internal debate. I turn around to see her pleading brown eyes the same eyes that I could never say no to, no matter what the situation. "Please?"

*Flashback*

I was only nine, and it was about 3 in the morning and I hear sobs coming from Demi’s room. I get out of bed, dragging my “blankie” behind me, and go knock on her door. “Demi?” I hear nothing except the sobs escaping from her. “I’m coming in” I say as I open her door.

Little did I know that what was about to happen, would have a major impact on my life.

I walk up behind the fourteen year old Demi, and say “Demi, why are you crying.” She turns around startled that someone is behind her. “Devin what are you doing here.” I look down at the ground and say “You’re sad, and when I’m sad I cry too. Why are you sad DemDem.” She tells me to sit on the ground, and I do. That’s when I see her arm covered in blood, and a shiny, metal thing in her other hand, also covered in blood. “DemDem, why you bleeding, and what is that” I say pointing to the shiny thing. She takes a breath and says “Sometimes when you’re really sad, and you don’t like yourself, you can do things like this, and it makes you feel better.” Since I was a very mature nine year old, I was able to understand everything. "Will I ever be like that?" Demi looks at me and hugs me saying "I pray to God every night that you won't. Devin, you can't tell anyone about this ok?" I look back at her, and she gives me those big, brown, pleading eyes. "Dem, I dunno if I can." "Please?" I reluctantly sigh and agree. "Okay."

*End Flashback*

When she opens her mouth to speak, I think I am going to have to listen to a lecture on what I'm doing to my body, why it's bad, and blah blah blah. Instead she only says one word "Why?" I take a deep breath and start "It all started two years ago when, Katie started to bully me.” I could see the gears in Demi’s head start turning, and next thing I know she figure it out. “She’s the one you punched” she exclaims. “Yeah. So as I was saying Katie started bullying me freshman year. That was 2 years ago, at first it was just small things, like when I’d fail a test or something, she’d make little comments, but- ” “What kind of things would she say?”

I took a deep breath, and recounted all of the times Katie would belittle me, and make me feel as if I was worthless, which I am. The Spanish incident, which happened in the beginning of sophomore year, was the worst. Katie sat close to me, which to her, was a free pass to harass me any time she pleases, which happened to be all the time.

*Flashback*

“Today class I will be saying your grades out, if you want them in private just say so” Says Mrs. Miller, my Spanish teacher.

     I know that I had slacked off a bit this quarter, but even then I am an honors student. Mrs. Miller gets to the L’s and there’s only two of us. “Katie Lazar 100, Devin Lovato 77.” I instantly feel embarrassed, and ashamed that I had dropped that much. Next thing I know Katie turns around and in a bitchy tone, mocks me, “Wow I thought you were smarter than that, do you have ADHD or something?” I didn’t need to say anything because my face told her the answer. I spent my whole life trying to hide it, and now the entire Spanish class knew. I knew that in no time the entire school would know. I ran out of the classroom and into the bathroom. Where I sat and cried and cut for the rest of the class, until I heard the final bell ring. Then and only then did I know it was safe to come out.

*End Flashback*

“At first she would just call me stupid, retarded, and fat. It eventually got more serious and she started calling me worthless, another popular nickname was fatsvato. This past year she has been telling me to go kill myself, and that everyone wouldn’t notice if I was gone, and everyone’s life would be better wi-without m-me.”

****Demi’s POV****

I cannot believe what I am hearing. Just the thought of my babygirl being told to go die tears me apart on the inside.

I see Dev sobbing, and shaking. I just pull her onto my lap and hold her while she cries, comforting her. “Devin, look at me.” Devin does not look up but instead curls up into a ball, while on my lap. I lift her chin with my finger so I can stare directly into her eyes. She had the same hollow, chocolate eyes I had. She didn’t have to say anything because her eyes told me exactly what was going through her head at the moment. They told me, that on the inside she was a broken, hurting, the exact opposite of what her smile told everyone else. They told me she felt like she was a failure, a disappointment, worthless, unloved, guilty, fat, not good enough, and not worthy of love or help. I knew that I had to help her before things got worse.

_____________________________________
Alrighty there's chapter 10. I decided that I am going to break the talk up into 2 chapters. The next chapter will be up when I get 100 reads and 3 comments. Sorry if my update is screwy, I do have a job which takes up about 30 hours a week.

This next chapter is the one I've been waiting to write. There is a surprise waiting for you.

I did put in a song lyric, however it is not from a Demi song. Who ever finds it first can create a character, that I will incorporate into the story.