Chapter 26

Jake's POV:

I've been staring out the window for the past hour. I've just gotten back from the hospital.

I couldn't forget the look in Cassie's eyes. It was just full of fear, but I can't figure why she looked like that. Her usual blank gaze was alive then, but it wasn't what I thought. I've always wanted her eyes to be alive with happiness, not with terror.

It unsettled me.

But it wasn't even what bothered me the most.

It was her father.

He seemed nice but there was just something about him that was...off. It was like I wasn't exactly seeing the real him.

Why am I so worried?, I thought to myself.  I'm sure Cassie's fine at home. I tried to convince myself. After all, what was there to be worried about?

Still, I just couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. Sighing, I picked up my phone and dialed my old number.

"Hello?"

Cassie's POV:

Home

The word got stuck in my head as I entered the house. I should be feeling happy that I'm back, but I'm not. It wasn't surprising, since this place doesn't exactly bring any happy memories.

Am I home?

The front door slammed shut, leaving behind an eerie silence. I braced myself from my father's wrath.

There was nothing, then-

BANG!

My head hit the wall, not hard enough to leave any damage but enough to leave me disoriented.

"Pathetic" I heard him say. "You should've just died then"

My heart twisted. Don'tcry, don'tcry, don't cry, I repeated in my mind. It's not worth it.

I heard the front door slam shut. He was gone.

Why? Why am I still alive? Tears started to fall. I don't want to be here anymore. I just want everything to end. 

"Why?" I cried softly. "I'm so sick of everything..."

Just then, I heard a phone ringing. Confused, I looked around until I figured out that the sound was coming from my pocket. It was the phone from Jake.

"Hello?" I answered, wiping away the tears.

"Cassie? Are you alright?" Jake asked.

I felt my heart clench in my chest. Why did he sound so worried. "I'm...." For some reason, I couldn't tell him that I'm fine.

"Cassie?"

I felt like crying again. "No, I'm not alright" I finally uttered.

"Ar- are you crying?" He asked. I realized I was. There was silence between us as I cried on the phone. "Do you want to talk?" He said it so tentatively. "I'll listen"

Did I really want to talk? Am I ready for this?

"Can you come pick me up?"

-----------–-----------------------------------------------------
A/N
Sosorrrrryyyyy! Iknowit'sbeenawhile
Ihadtroublewritingforquitesometimenow, but! Iambackontrack.

Hopeyouguyscanforgiveme  :))