Chapter 15

Jake's POV:

I was walking home when I heard Michael calling me from behind. I stopped and turned around. He was jogging to catch up with me.

"What's up?" I asked when he finally caught up.

"What's up? What's up? What's up with you?" he said as we started walking again.

I looked at him quizically. "Uhh...nothing much, why?"

He rolled his eyes. "Why, he says" he muttered under his breath.

"Dude, what is it?" I asked again. "Why did you call me out and what's with the question?"

He raised an eyebrow at me. "You were late this morning for class and I heard that you were walking Cassie, THE Cassie Adams, to her classes all day, carrying her things. Moreover, you were sitting with her during lunch. Of course, the guys and I would have some questions"

"And you were the one tasked to interrogate me on this matter?" I said skeptically. He scoffed. "Anyway, nothing's the matter. I was just helping her out" I told him.

"Helping her out? No one helps Cassie Adams out. People just let her deal with her business on her own" he remarked.

I don't know why, but I got annoyed when he said that. "Well, maybe people should start helping her out" I snapped.

He stopped in his tracks and grabbed my arm, forcing me to turn around to face him. "What's wrong with you?" he asked, confused. "You barely know the person and yet, you're defending her?"

I sighed. "I don't know"

"You don't know?" he sounded sarcastic.

"Yes, I don't know, alright? Would you please stop with the interrogation? Because I honestly and really don't know" I told him, exasperated.

He looked at me for a moment before relenting."Alright"

I shook my head at him before walking again.

"But honestly man, what's the deal with her?" he asked. "I'm honestly curious"

"Again, I don't know. This is the first time that we had a proper conversation"

"Aren't you always talking with her?"

"Those were one-sided conversations" I told him. "She didn't even know who I was"

"Seriously?" he sounded incredulous. I nodded. He let out a laugh. "Man, I thought everyone knew you in school. Looks like I was proven wrong"

"You're not the only one" I muttered under my breath.

"What?"

"Nothing"

"Anyway, I get that you want to befriend her because that's just who you are,  but why did you have to carry her bag?" looks like he was still curious.

"I knocked her down this morning while I was hurrying to class. She has a bruised shoulder, so the fall just added to the pain that she was already feeling. I suggested to carry her bag so that I won't feel too guilty" I answered his question.

He shook his head. "Classic Jake"

I disagreed with him in my thoughts. I didn't actually did it to ease  my conscience as I told him and Cassie.  I suggested that unconsciously because...

Because what?

Because I wanted to be her friend?

That wasn't a good enough reason.

Because I wanted to solve the mystery that Cassie Adams?

Yeah, that must be it, I thought but I knew deep down that that wasn't the real reason.