Chapter 17

Jake's POV:

I stopped the car outside Cassie's house. "Looks like nobody's home yet" I commented.

"My father comes home late because of work" she told me, getting out of the car. "Thanks for the ride"

"No problem" I told her. I watched her get inside the house before facing the road again. I drove home, remembering what Mrs. Gomez said to me when I came back, skipping Chemistry.

~~~~~~~~~~

"How is she doing?" I asked her once she came out, drawing the curtains close.

"She's still sleeping" she answered. "Can I ask you something Jake?"

"Sure"

"Why are you so concerned with Cassie? Sure, I know you're friends with almost everybody here in school but I've never seen you so concerned with others as you are to her"

I was silent, thinking over what she said. "I..." I trailed off. She gave me a knowing look. "By the way, how's her shoulder?" I changed the topic, feeling uncomfortable from the look that she's giving me.

She sighed. "Somehow, it's gotten worse"

"How so?"

"She said that she hasn't had the time to ice it but it shouldn't be swollen just because of that..." she got a thoughtful look on her face.

Silence.

Feeling uncomfortable, I asked. "Well, what do you think?"

She glanced up. "Of what?"

"Of what we were talking before"

She smiled. "I think I know the reason but you have to figure that out by yourself" she told me.

~~~~~~~~~

And no matter how I asked and pestered her, she wouldn't tell me.

I focused on the road once again.

"I'm home"

"Hey sweetie! How was school?" my mom came out of the kitchen, wiping her hands on a towel.

"Same as always" I answered, heading upstairs.

I dumped my bag on the floor and fell on my bed.

What did Mrs. Gomez meant?, I thought, racking my brain. It is normalnto be concerned with someone who needs help, doesn't it?

Wait...

Why do I think Cassie needs help?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N : Short one, I know....but this has been in my drafts for too, might as well update