Chapter 23

Jake's POV:

I was sitting away from my friends while waiting for Cassie the whole lunch time. I could feel Michael's stare at my back as I pretended to be occupied.

There's no way she left me hanging, I thought, trying to justify her abscence. After all, she seemed better.

Slowly, the cafeteria became empty. Lunch was ending in a few minutes but I was still sitting here. I still believed that Cassie would turn up, even at the last minute. Eventually, I left when it was pretty clear that she wouldn't.

I glanced at my watch and realized that I was late for class. I dragged my feet to class. I was already late, so what's the point?

Turned out that despite of the time, there was still a lot of students in the hall. Looks like lateness wouldn't be a big deal for everyone's next class. But then I noticed that everyone wasn't just idling by. There was a crowd in front of the girl's comfort room. As I walked closer, I could hear snippets of conversations.

"Is it true?"

"Yeah, looks like it. They found a bottle of pills on the sink"

"So she tried to kill herself?!?"

"Someone said that it's that girl who pissed off Ashley"

I snapped to attention when I heard the last one. Pissed off Ashley? Isn't that-

"Excuse me" I pushed my way through the crowd. I stopped in my tracks when I reached the front.

Cassie was loaded to a gurney. I took an involuntary step forward but before I could come closer, a teacher blocked me for taking a step.

"Leave it to the paramedics" he told me. Mutely, I nodded.

It didn't take long for the paramedics to wheel her away. As soon as she was gone, tbe teachers all scrambled to get us back into class.

I was still rooted to where I was standing, staring at the place where Cassie was lying before. The hall was almost empty, with a few bystanders left and Mr. Finley, the principal. I didn't notice Mr. Finley walking towards me.

"Are you alright Jake?" He asked. I nodded stiffly. He tilted his head to one side, scrutinizing. He nodded to himself as if understanding something. "Why don't you come with me to my office?" He turned around. I followed him silently.

I was surprised to see Ashley in the office when I arrived.

"Take a seat" I obeyed, taking the seat beside Ashley. "Now, I understand that you found Ms. Adams?" He was talking to Ashley.

"I did'' Ashley's voice was barely a whisper. "I saw her get in there while I was talking to my friends. I went in when we finished talking, but...when I saw her, she was already on the floor. I screamed and she looked up but it seemed like she couldn't see me, and then-and then..." She trailed off, unable to say anything anymore.

"And then you called for help" Mr. Finley finished for her. She nodded. He turned to me. "And what about you Jake?"

"Me?"

"Do you know anything about Ms. Adams?" He asked.

"Not much" I answered.

"Then, tell me what you do know? What would make her try to do that?"

I shrugged. "I don't know" I told him. After all, the only thing I know about her is that her little sister is dead, and that's it. Besides, I only learned this recently and it's not my place to tell.

Mr. Finley stared at me for a few seconds before nodding. "You can both go back to class now" he turned to the papers on his desk, brows furrowed.

I stood up then asked a question. "Which hospital did they take her too?"

He looked up and then scribbled something on a piece of paper. He handed it to me.

I read it and thanked him. I know where I'll be going after school.