Bonding

After that little pranking incident, my father kept a close eye on me. He often left me under the charge of Grandmother, as he did tonight.

I shivered, pulling my thin nightgown closer around me. The air grew colder, slicing across me cheekbones like blades of ice. I slid of of the armchair I was curled up in and walked over to my grandmother. She picked me up, placing me gently on her lap as she watched over my grandfather. She was humming softly, a lullaby that made my eyes drop and my head feel heavy. I had almost slipped into oblivion when the for flew open with a blast of cold breeze.

In stepped a tall, blue creature with glowing red eyes. I screamed. Grandmother grabbed a sword and swung it at the monster, keeping it at bay for a matter of seconds. Then, with one powerful swipe, the giant wacked her away from the casket in which Grandfather lay.

He leaned down, and whispered things to the sleeping Allfather. He made a long knife our of ice, and prepared to slit the throat of the king.

"Don't touch him, you monster!" I screamed, kicking at the large creature. He spun towards me, and as quickly as I had sprung at him, I duplicated myself, the illusions laughing and pointing at one another, as if blaming the others for being false. The giant growled, and began to swipe through the illusions, one by one. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my grandmother, trying to pull herself up. Just before the icy knife was about to come in contact with my neck, the door flung open for a second time, only this time it was my father, looking livid.

The monster took advantage of the distraction and grabbed my arm, pulling me towards him. I shrieked as his cold hand came in contact with mine. The skin of my forearm began to slowly turn blue.

I looked up at the monster, who was now toppling over, lifeless as my skin faded to it's usual pale pallor.

I shivered. My night dress was ripped, and I had several cuts on my arm from the giant's strong grip.

"What was that thing?" I asked softly as my father helped Grandmother up.

Loki lord me on my eyes. Emerald meet emerald, and he said, "Frost Giant."

The next thing I knew, my eyes were overflowing with tears, and I was running at my father as fast as my legs could carry me.

"Daddy!" I sobbed, throwing my arms around him and holding tight.

"Shhh Hela, it's alright, your safe now, my brave little Princess."

And I held on to him, and nothing on the world could separate us.