Part 22: Great Guy

(Present)

Selina Kyle was no damsel in distress. Ever since Bruce had told her of Falcone's threat, she began to scrutinize her life. Not many people knew that she was Catwoman, and those who did, she trusted with her life- for the most part.

Falcone was using her to hurt Bruce, but someone had told him about her being Catwoman. It wouldn't be long for someone to deduce that Bruce had a secret identity as well. They'd have to come up with a contingency plan before that happened.

One morning, when Bruce was at work, Selina was home alone. Alfred had gone out for some errands. She dressed in her robe and went down to the family kitchen, expecting it to be empty.

It wasn't.

"Hey there, stranger." She said to the kid as she walked in.

"Hey yourself." He replied, popping a cracker in his mouth.

"You're that kid! From, from basketball. What's your name again?"

"Jason."

"Selina. How'd you get in here?"

"Hopped a wall. It was easy."

"Tell me about it. I used to do that all the time when I was young. Pissed Alfred off!"

Jason looked at her, frozen, then laughed.

"You? Scaled walls?"

"Why, just 'cause I'm married to a billionaire means I was born a socialite? Buddy, I was roaming the streets before you were even born!"

She opened the fridge and scanned its contents.

"Want breakfast?"

"What're you making?"

"What're you in the mood for?"

Selina and Jason ransacked the fridge and pantry to put together a breakfast. While they ate, they exchanged adventure stories of living on Gotham streets.

"Good afternoon, Mrs Wayne." Alfred announced as he came back. "And who might this young gentleman be?"

Jason snickered at the posh accent, enticing Selina to do the same.

"Alfred, this is Jason. He's from Dick's group."

"Fantastic. And how long will you be staying for?"

"We'll let you know, G."

Alfred did his best to hide his annoyance and went somewhere else in the manor that needed his attention.

"Why'd you call him Dick? At Swithin's we call him JB."

"Did he ever tell you his real name?"

"Yeah. The first night we met. Get me to trust him or whatever."

"Mhm! Bruce knew him back when he was still legally Richard Grayson. He only lets family call him by his name."

"He's Dickybird. I'm Jaybird. Got a lot of birds around here."

Selena looked at a framed photo of her husband sitting on the counter, and laughed.

"More than you know."

Selina gave Jason a tour of the manor, after which they ended up back in the library. She caught up on some work stuff, while Jason read. He'd read almost read half the Hardy Boys collection by lunch. Selina had to ask twice if he wanted to eat.