Part 21: Raincheck

(C.U)

"You should've seen him, Mavin. The new suit? To die for." Selina clawed at her mirror as she finished putting on her other earring.

"Sounds lovely, I'm sure. But I don't have to remind you that you have a date with Mr. Wayne in about..." the doorbell cut her off. "Now?"

"Fine, fine. Let him in."

Mavin left her to open the front door to the man who probably owned the building. Bruce Wayne smiled down at her and she invited him in, holding the door until he was definitely inside.

"There's no one else coming," he teased her and Mavin snapped herself to consciousness.

"Oh, right." She excused herself and closed the door.

"Selina will by right in."

"Right about now." Selina came out from her room. "Hope I didn't keep you waiting long."

"Not at all, we just came in. These are for you." He offered her flowers. Orchids, of course. What normal people might save a couple paychecks for, he probably bought with his spare change.

"Thank you. Please, have a seat. Mave, could you..." Selina gave the flowers to Mavin.

"I got it," Mavin took the orchids to the kitchen.

"So, you've been out of town for a long time."

"Sure have. Expanding the empire. I met some incredible people. I'm excited about working with them."

"Always a businessman, I suppose."

Bruce scoffed. She had no idea.

"What brings you back to this part of the planet?"

"Haha. Home. I wanted to be home, for the holidays. Reconnect with some old friends."

"Hmm..."

"Selina, it's your lawyer." Mavin cut in before they could talk, "He says the deal is off."

Bruce was almost sure he heard her growl, but then she faced him with a smile.

"Excuse me," She got off and took the phone from her secretary and walked into another room.

"Martin, what happened? That's ridiculous. Tell him I want to meet with him!"

Bruce whoofed as he heard her yelling on the phone. Glad he wasn't on the other end.

Mavin gave an embarrassed laugh and sat with him.

"What's going on?"

"Selina was negotiating for land for a wildlife preserve. Some cartel just muscled her out of the deal. Work for M.I.G.H.T"

"He won't take your calls? You go and kick down the door if you have to. I want that land for the mountain lions!"

Bruce took out his phone, busy scrolling through some connections.

Selina came back in after ending her call and flopped on the seat across her guest.

"I'm afraid I'm not gonna be very good company."

"Is there anything I can do?" Bruce leaned forward with interest.

"Not unless you can get me a meeting with the chairman of Multigon International."

Bruce went on his phone again, "I'm sure Bruce Wayne can find a last second appointment. Excuse me," he got off the couch to talk on his phone.

Not five minutes later they were in his car, on their way to M.I.G.H.T, or Multigon International Group of Housing Towers. The outside was as scenic as it could be in Gotham city, with fresh snow starting to fall, but Selina's attention was on her driver.