34: We

The case caught on fire, fueled by the media. It was family against family, and the Vans weren't afraid to go low, much to Bruce's annoyance. His 'family' had never been in favor of Selina, and him adopting a boy off the streets earned him a title he didn't want to hold.

There came a point when Bruce's lawyer suggested waiting for adoption until they had a biological child first, but Bruce shut down the conversation. He'd be more willing to give up his fortune than giving up his son. But now it had gone way past the point of just adoption.

The current case brought to light a past case involving the Waynes. There was a police record suggesting Selina Kyle was the infamous Catwoman. If Bruce couldn't be trusted with his choice of partners, he couldn't be trusted with his choice of children.

Thankfully, 'Catwoman' dropped by during a court session, having become tired of having her name thrown in something she wasn't involved in. Jen was much too inclined to help out her friend in need.

Catwoman's appearance discredited the Vans' accusations against Selina. That also weakened their case against Jason, and the judge saw no issue with the Waynes adopting the kid. The family walked out of one court and into the other, where Jason Todd officially became Jason Wayne.

It was winter season by the time the case became old news. Winter season also meant ball season for the upper class. It was a perfect opportunity for the Waynes to introduce their son to their society.

"You know, we only get invited to these things because of you, right?" Selina asked her half dressed husband through the vanity mirror.

"Sorry, sorry. Last minute write ups," Bruce replied, still not looking as he dragged himself away from the laptop, buttoning his shirt.

"Can you clasp this?" Selina waited, her arms getting tired holding the necklace around her neck.

Bruce buttoned his collar and helped her with the jewelry, taking the opportunity to kiss her neck.

"We'll be late, anyway," he suggested as he wrapped himself around his wife. "We can definitely stay in."

Selina held his hair as she leaned into his kisses, but was determined not to give in. She gave him one strong kiss on the mouth and peeled him away.

"Since you're getting distracted, do you mind checking in on Jay? See if he needs help getting ready."

Bruce obliged and left the room whistling. He let himself into the boys' suite, but knocked on Jason's room when he got there. After waiting a long time, Bruce let himself in on an unhappy sight.

"All ready?" Selina asked him when Bruce came back too quick.

"Actually, I think we'll stay in tonight," Bruce replied as he passed her by, already unbuttoning.

"Bruuuce!" Selina pouted. "We committed! And it's a charity, it won't look good if we skip."

Bruce held his wife's hand as she whined at him.

"Not you, you can go. I mean, the boys will stay in. You should go, take Sylvia with you. Make it a girls' night," he fixed her slipping hair.

"What? Why, is something wrong?" Selina panicked.

"No! No, nothing's wrong, kitten!" Bruce eased her mind. "He's just not ready yet, and I don't think we should push him to it."

"Are you sure?" Selina slipped from his grab and walked towards the library. "I can stay, we can make it a family thing!"

Bruce pulled her back and smiled at her. "We can have family night any other time. You look too good not to go! And, I think it'll be good for us to have a guys night."