Chapter 14: History of Samuel part 3

Flashback continuing after Samuel met Kayla and the Mavericks:
"I'm Kayla... and we call ourselves the Mavericks."

"So what is the Mavericks?" Samuel asked Kayla.

"We're people who ran away from home. Everyone has their own reason for running. We don't ask, but everyone is welcome to tell their reason for running if they want. We didn't save you because we've been watching you or some sci fi reason like that. We saved you because you seemed like us." Kayla explained although, she seemed slightly nervous when she said 'watching you', although Samuel did not notice. Despite that, Samuel nodded at the statement. A boy walked over towards them.

"I'm Skip." the boy said. Unlike Kayla and Samuel, Skip was African American. He had a black jacket, bright red shirt, and blue jeans on. Samuel shook Skip's hand.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Samuel." Samuel replied. A Latino kid walked over to them. He extended his hand for Samuel to shake.

"I'm Mateo. Over there is my sister, Maria." Mateo introduced before he pointed at a girl who was just a year younger than him, Samuel, and Kayla. Then another girl walked to Samuel.

"I'm Yuna. I was previously the last to join the Mavericks." The girl told Samuel. Samuel looked at the small group of teens.

"I'm glad to meet you all. So what is with this Maverick thing? If this isn't some kind of gang or anything then what is this?" Samuel asked.

"A family. A safe haven. We are a group of runaways who have decided to stick together and fend for ourselves." Kayla replied. Samuel nodded.

Hours later:
Samuel Parker officially considered himself a runaway. He didn't know if he'd stay with the Mavericks but so far they'd been sincere enough. They lived in a currently unused warehouse which Samuel had been brought to.

"So how did you manage to snag this place?" Samuel asked Kayla. Kayla looked at Samuel, considering if she should tell the newcomer of how she managed to get this place as the 'Maverick base' as the teens jokingly called it.

"The warehouse owner is a friend who didn't like the fact that my parents were quite abusive. After I ran away, he found me and let me move into the warehouse. I now work a job so I can help pay for the electric bill at the very least." Kayla answered.

"I see. That was nice of him. And for what it's worth, I'm thankful for you... helping me out I mean." Samuel replied. Kayla smiled and nodded. The warehouse was empty save for a few phone chargers and sleeping bags.

"I guess you aren't the only one that has a job here." Samuel told Kayla. Kayla looked at Samuel in surprise.

"How did you figure that out?" Kayla asked. Samuel pointed to the phone chargers.

"The phone chargers. Phones aren't cheap these days." Samuel pointed out.

"I work and pay for the phones, any family needs to communicate with each other" Skip explained.

"Do you all work?" Samuel asked.

"No. But those that do not work help clean our home." Kayla replied. When the group went inside, two more teens were there.

"Tris, Bryan... do we have another sleeping bag? We have a new comer." Kayla asked the two new teens that Samuel didn't know.

"I'm sure we have one. I'll go get it." Tris answered before she walked away to get it. Samuel then saw a few short pole like structures toward the left wall of the room. Samuel walked and climbed to the top of the structure.

"What are you doing?" Kayla asked, looking a bit worried about the newcomer. Samuel smiled.

"Something that I used to practice a lot...." Samuel replied as he stood on the pole. Like Miyagi did when he was at the beach with Daniel all those years ago... Samuel begin to focus on his balance and practiced the Crane Kick while on the pole. The others looked at him with a mix of awe and confusion. They found what he was doing mesmerizing, but why exactly had he been doing it?