Chapter 8: Counterbalance

Samuel woke up and put on Jonathan Young's cover of Eye of the Tiger on his phone as he started to go over his kata.

"Since it's not hot enough for you guys to experience Shochu-Geiko, I asked a buddy of mine if we can use his freezer room, there will we experience Kangeiko. Shochu-Geiko and Kangeiko is a Japanese exercise where you train during either the hottest time for Shochu, or coldest time for Kan, of the year. Both are about pushing yourself to your limit. The fight won't always come to you when it's comfortable. Let's go." Daniel said.

Samuel found himself in the middle of a circle surrounded by his fellow Miyagi-Do students. Whatever number Daniel called, Samuel would have to spar with until one of them was forced out of the circle.
"Five." Daniel called and Nicole went forward. She was determined to show Samuel that she could keep up with him. Nicole made the first move, but it was so cold that Samuel could see her breath and he stepped to the side as she threw the first punch and he kicked her. Nicole caught her balance and blocked Samuel's oncoming punch. She then countered with a punch of her own, but Samuel had seen it coming. He could read Nicole's intentions clearly, she had gotten skilled but still had much to learn about reading the body language of her opponent. Samuel ducked under her punch and kicked her, knocking her out of the circle. As she almost fell, Samuel ran and caught her.
"You did well." Samuel told her. Nicole nodded, blusing.
"Thanks." Nicole replied before Samuel helped her stabilize herself and returned to the middle of the circle.
"Three." Daniel said and Alfredo charged at him. Alfredo was more offensive than most Miyagi-Do students, and he kicked more than he punched. Samuel smirked as sure enough he started with a kick that Samuel blocked. Samuel stepped forward and punched Alfredo's chest, knocking him back. Alfredo quickly caught his balance before he launched a high kick near Samuel's head, but Samuel ducked under it and kicked his foot, knocking Alfredo off his feet. Alfredo fell to the ground.
"Damn, looks like I still can't beat you." Alfredo said. Samuel smiled as he helped his friend up.
"Still one hell of a kicker though, that first kick hurt to block." Samuel replied. Alfredo smirked.
"Damn straight. Soccer players need to keep their legs strong, kicking for us is second nature." Alfredo replied. Samuel got into a fighting stance again, ready for his next opponent.
"All right, who's next?" Samuel asked, before he eventually defeated all of his fellow Miyagi-Do students.

Later:
After Daniel had his students experience Kangeiko, he went to Encino Oaks Country Club. He was speaking with the business man who owned the Strip Mall that Cobra Kai operates at, the man named Armand Zakarian.
"I have to thank you, LaRusso, for inviting us here. My wife and kid, they love Lobster Night. But this country club? They revoke my membership, son of a guns!" Armand told Daniel.
"I know, and frankly, I don't like how they handled that, Armand, I mean, it's a stupid rule, if you ask me." Daniel replied.
"That's what I said." Armand replied before getting a mouthful of food in his mouth.
"This is the entire reason we wear flip-flops in the shower, am I right?" Daniel asked.
"Mm-hmm!" Armand replied before he laughed.
"Look, Armand, most of these people here, their money comes from mommy and daddy. You and me, we earned this. So when it comes to business in the Valley, it's in our best interest to look out for each other." Daniel said before he grabbed his drink and took a sip of it.
"Oh... so it's not only the lobster that's being buttered up, huh?" Armand asked. Daniel chuckled in a friendly manner.
"Tell me, what can Armand do for you?" Armand asked.

"By the way, thanks for coming, both of you." Amanda told Samantha and Samuel, who Amanda wanted to invite. She missed spending time with him as well. Daniel got to be his karate teacher, Samantha is his 'not' girlfriend, but she hardly saw him. She remembered the days she used to watch over Samuel, watching over him and Samantha as they watched cartoons and swam around. She was always attached to the boy, and, though she would never tell it to Samantha herself, she was rooting for Samuel and Samantha to get together. He was a good guy and she knew she could trust Samuel to respect Samantha.
"Thanks for inviting me." Samuel replied. He headband was off, it which was rare these days, but he had his custom made Miyagi-Do jacket Samantha had made for him on. He clearly cherished that white jacket with the bonsai logos.
"So Samantha, how has Yasmine and Moon been doing? You haven't spoken of them in a while." Amanda asked.
"Well, Yasmine was bullying Aisha, and well... after Samuel called her out on it... he gave me an ultimatum, keep hanging out with Yas and become a bully by doing nothing and lose his friendship, or stop hanging out with her and stop her from bullying Aisha anymore, and he'd still hang out with me. As much as being popular and all of that is cool and all, I just... didn't want it to be at the cost of my friends and... I didn't know how badly I hurt Aisha until Samuel called Yasmine out." Samantha explained.
"Well, maybe it's better that you're not friends with Yasmine. Anyway, we're always happy to have you bo... ANTHONY! STOP DRINING THE BUTTER! I'm gonna get him." Amanda yelled. Samuel and Samantha had amused smiles on their faces. Samuel sighed.
"Something wrong, Samuel?" Samantha asked.
"Not really wrong, per say. I'm just not used to... this." Samuel replied as he pointed around the lavish country club.
"I'm a boy that lives in Reseda. So all of this is unknown territory for me." Samuel explained. Samantha put a hand on his face and smiled.
"Then don't worry about all of that. You know us, you know dad, mom, Anthony, and me. Just focus on us." Samantha advised. Samuel smiled.